Talk

Advanced search

Nursery/school recommendations?

(5 Posts)
BraveNewWorld Mon 14-Jun-10 22:30:43

Hi Southsiders,
I'm thinking of moving to Herne Hill/Tulse Hill/West Dulwich. Can anyone give me any tips on the areas/local nurseries/schools?
Much appreciated and look forward to meeting you (early next year)

sleeplessinsouthwark Wed 16-Jun-10 18:02:42

Hello!

Herne Hill and Tulse Hill have a dearth of local community primary schools. I would go for West Dulwich and live as close to Rosendale Primary as you can afford. It also has a nursery but I can't remember from what age, I suspect it has a very long waiting list.

Alternatively, I would look at Streatham Hill and see if you can live near to Hitherfield Primary School.

The reason I suggest Rosendale and Hitherfield is that they are both 2 form entry schools so it is a bit less of a gamble hoping to get into those, in my opinion, than some of the smaller ones. Rosendale is already "Outstanding" and I think Hitherfield is just "Good" but I think Hitherfield is on the up.

Herne Hill is a very nice area for new parents - there are baby groups, there is Brockwell Park, there is a lovely toy shop etc. The station goes to Blackfriars but not London Bridge. There is a nice private infant school there called Herne Hill School.

Tulse Hill is a handy station for commuting to either London Bridge or Blackfriars / Farringdon / Kings Cross. Tulse Hill itself is not as nice as Herne Hill, so houses are cheaper. But you can easily end up in a primary school black spot.

West Dulwich has lovely houses but I think they are expensive. There are some good private primary schools - Oakfield & Rosemead. Dulwich Park is gorgeous.

kiwimum33 Mon 09-Aug-10 16:59:43

Hi,

Just to add to the above - Streatham Hill has a fabulous new nursery, opened in January this year, on Ritherdon Road opposite Tooting Bec Common. Monkey Puzzle Day Nursery. My daughter has been in since it opened, and I can't say enough about the staff, the care and the activities they provide for the children. I'd really recommend it.

lucypollyanne Wed 17-Nov-10 19:06:58

Hello Kiwimum

Would you still recommend Monkey Puzzle. I am thinking of enrolling my 2 year old there from Feb next year?

ready2pop Tue 23-Nov-10 20:28:54

Hmm, Monkey Puzzle is on Garrard's Lane not Ritherdon Road.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: