Talk

Advanced search

Hi everyone, can I pick your brains?

(9 Posts)
LollipopViolet Sun 13-Jun-10 14:58:54

Pretty please? Basically, I'm a uni student at the moment, living at home with the parents (no kids yet), but after uni (next July time) I'm looking to move to Manchester, as there's a lot more film/tv production work there (this is what my degree is) than there is in my area. To work in my area I'd need to set up a business and I don't want to do that, also want to move out of home and think it'll be easier to go away than to try and stay where I am.

Anyway, can you tell me all about where you live? Which bit of Manchester are you in? What are the jobs and housing markets like there at the moment? I'm looking to share a flat with a mate so if anyone can give me monthly rates on 2 bed flats in their area as a guide, it'd be lovely . Also, I've been to the city centre, I've also spent lots of time at the ice rink in Altrincham, so any other areas I should know about for things to do?

I don't drive so would need to live either on the tram network or somewhere with good bus links.

Basically, I need to know EVERYTHING about the city, from work to leisure, to housing etc.

LollipopViolet Tue 20-Jul-10 17:10:24

Bump. Anyone? Anyone at all I don't mind which bit of Manchester you're in I just want some info lol!

SherbetDibDab Tue 20-Jul-10 17:19:13

The new media city is in Salford, and on the tram line. In that case I'd suggest Sale or Altrincham. Could be fairly pricey compared to some other areas.

It also depends on what you're into. Chorlton and Didsbury are more fun. I don't know anything about how the buses work.

LollipopViolet Tue 20-Jul-10 17:39:17

Oooh, see if I lived in Altrincham I'd be spending all my free time and money at the ice rink getting back into skating

Generally, as long as there's access to public transport, I don't mind, never been to Chorlton or Didsbury but have heard the names. Will investigate, thank you

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LollipopViolet Tue 20-Jul-10 17:58:19

Chorlton sounds fab! Didsbury does too actually! A lot of places for rent in Didsbury actually, whenever I've gone on rightmove it's always come up.

sarahfreck Tue 16-Nov-10 21:52:39

Eccles is much nearer to Salford Quays and on a tram-line too. Sale and Altrincham would be a long tram-ride I think. I live in a flat on Eccles New Road at the Eccles end of the road right opposite a tram stop and really like it here. Loads of the flats in our complex (Canterbury Gardens) are often up for rent at MUCH cheaper prices than Salford Quays (and the rooms and flats are much bigger here too), but only about 15 mins away by tram! Salford and Eccles are not as "middle class" as some areas of South Manchester like Didsbury but I think it is probably cheaper living here. I like it anyway and think Salford gets a bad press about being rough when it isn't all like that at all. You just need to know your areas!
I'm also only a short bus ride away from the Trafford Centre (if you like retail therapy)

ThinneverVetch Tue 16-Nov-10 22:34:46

thesecondcoming Tue 16-Nov-10 22:40:43

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now