Bath Secondary School Catchment Areas

(4 Posts)
Marchmallow20 Mon 17-May-21 11:43:04

Sorry for late response to your message @TwtoBA - we have been busy selling our house and buying the new one! Luckily we have managed (fingers crossed) to find a house in Widcombe, so we are bang in the catchment area for Ralph Allen, but it was a bit touch and go for a while. The housing market has been mad and we were worried we wouldn't find the right thing. Had to really hold our nerve and as we are yet to exchange, guess it could still fall away, but so far so good. Everything is crossed! As part of the process, and at one point we were looking at a property in Lansdown, I spoke on the phone the the admissions person at Ralph Allen who was really nice and helpful - which was great. She is a PA to the Head and her email was on the school website. What I gleaned is that it isn't an exact science, but as long as you are approx 2 miles from the school as the crow flies, she thought it would broadly be ok to assume you'd be allocated a place. There was some thought to the gender mix, as they have more boys than girls at the moment, so I guess if you were on the edge girls would get a preference as they are trying to ensure a decent balance....but I am not sure exactly how that works in practice. There is a schools allocation officer at BANES called Linda Knight who you could call to discuss further if thats helpful. This info was from a conversation in April 2021, so hope thats helpful. They also said they plan to increase the intake, and BANES local authority have supported them to do that due to local changes/developments so it'll go up from 210 to 240 so thats good. Also there is a shift between first round applications and second round as some applicants end up going to private schools, and more Ralph Allen places become available in that second round, so also good news if you really want that school. She also said that people come to the school from almost all parts of Bath, so in terms of them knowing /making friends around the city that should be fine. If you direct message me I'll give you the email of Linda Knight - might be worth a further chat with her for details. But the school seem very happy to answer questions on catchment. Hope this helps. I'll caveat all this with it was just a chat on the phone not any official info I am imparting! But best of luck with it all and Bath here we come.....

OP’s posts: |
TWtoBA Sun 02-May-21 03:12:02

Hello @Marchmallow20

I hope you found the info you needed and made a safe move to Bath. halo

We’re in a similar situation, moving from West London with DS11 & DD6. My partner is also from the area!

Can you please share what you’ve learnt on Ralph Allen catchments. We’re going to be just south of Bathford in Monkton Farleigh, equidistant between Ralph Allen and St Laurence school; although RA is the preference at present. Any info you could share either here or in a DM would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks

Madcats Wed 24-Feb-21 19:54:12

Well the good news is that Beechen and Ralph Allen are both very good schools. I don't know enough about St Marks.

Catchments are getting very muddled because of all the redevelopment and families relocating from London. There are substantial new builds going on/completed at Mulberry Park (Foxhill), Holbourne (Warminster Road) and up on Lansdown and catchment areas will be shifting a lot in the next couple of years.

There are school buses that head up Bathwick Hill. Whether they have been upgraded to avoid the controlled air zone charge will become evident shortly. One certainly used to pick up at the fire station and Bathwick Hill. Details here: www.ralphallenschool.com/1034/transport

Marchmallow20 Mon 22-Feb-21 14:36:52

Our family are planning a move from London to Bath, I grew up in the area but not in the city. We have two sons, one 8 and one 10. Seems like there are lots of great primary options around Bath so focussed on the right state secondary for our older boy (now 10) who is fairly academic, into nature, reading and fairly sporty too. We are looking at property in central Bath, and really like the look of Ralph Allen School, feel like it will be the right fit. We have found info about the catchment area and farthest (as the crow flies) from the school seems to be approx 2.2-2.3 miles. As we are looking centrally or Bathwick area this seems possible, but we'd be at the further end of the likely catchment. Does anyone have any recent experience of admissions/catchment considerations? Also is there a school bus from centre to the school or would we have to commit to a daily drive?

Any local intel gratefully received as it will help us work out which properties could work. We'd ideally be walking distance from station and able to get onto motorway as we will both will have to spend some time in London now and then for work.

Thanks in advance!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in