Talk

Advanced search

Grammar vs State for a bright Y7 boy moving back to UK

(4 Posts)
SoggyMess Fri 08-Nov-19 21:56:54

I'm Cirencester based but a good friend is planning a move back to the UK from Spain and is looking for whatever 'on the ground' advice I can get re schooling. Her husband will be working in Swindon. They originally thought of Cheltenham or Gloucester (Pates, Balcarras, Tommy's, or possibly Marling in Stroud... We've heard that these can (some? all?) be tough to get into so need to canvass opinion about state schools. Cirencester & surrounding villages seems a good central location but frankly any input will be helpful!
Their son's birthday means he'll be joining Y7 in September so the next problem might be cut off dates for entrance exams etc. Help!?

OP’s posts: |
lazylinguist Fri 08-Nov-19 22:03:50

I don't know that area, but you might be more likely to get helpful answers if you change your thread title, as, firstly, grammar schools are state schools, and also it sounds from your title as though you're asking for general comments on type of school rather than schools in a specific location.

LIZS Fri 08-Nov-19 22:11:47

Applications for y7 state places were due in last week and 11+ for state grammars, ie. Pate's , is taken beforehand. There may still be time to apply for some independents but deadlines will be imminent.

Quartz2208 Fri 08-Nov-19 22:15:27

State Grammar applications and exams have been and gone and results given and application in (by 31/10)
Independent schools usually are in Januaru but application for exams may have also been and gone

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in