Private VS Council School S5 and 6

(3 Posts)
hosnav Tue 10-Sep-19 09:52:13

My children will be returning to Edinburgh after spending their whole lives at an International School in Asia, where I work (which has given them free private schooling). They will return to go to S5 and S6. The place we will live is in the catchment for James Gillespie's. How likely is it they would get a place in catchment school, does anyone know? I have also been interested to see Gillespie's exam results ranking fall over the last few years and wondered if that has any meaning? I appreciate ranking schools takes out many important factors but just wondered if there is anything to be concerned about.
I am also toying with the idea of sending them to Heriots but it would be a definite stretch for me financially. My kids are quite academic and motivated to learn, but not sporty or musical which I know are two reasons parents often given for the private schools being 'better'. Does anyone have any insight into how different they are in terms of kids reaching their academic potential? Heriots certainly has very impressive exam results, but is that down to being selective? Rather than teaching and learning opportunities? Thanks for any help.

OP’s posts: |
viennesewhirls Sun 22-Sep-19 08:14:54

At that point in schooling I’d be more concerned with the ramifications of changing school systems (unless their schools abroad have followed the Scottish system) this close to finishing, when it comes to uni applications or whatever they plan to do next. If they’ve been working towards A-Levels then it might be best to find a private school that offers that.

edimum25 Thu 23-Apr-20 22:37:29

My sister in law’s kids are at Heriot’s and they love it! It’s a very inclusive school and very motivating from what I’ve heard. Have heard some bad things about Gillespie’s in terms of the management of the school, and large class sizes at times - also far less of a sense of “school pride”, although it is one of the best state schools in the country. If you want another independent school to look at, my DC are at EA and adore it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in