Talk

Advanced search

Looking at moving to Guildford area

(6 Posts)
Madhatter007 Tue 23-Jul-19 16:04:25

Hi, we are relocating from Sunny Cape Town to Guildford in the next 4 weeks. My husband's office is based in Guildford (80 % ) and Sheffield (20%). I have a 13 year old daughter who will be going to Year 9. We want to rent initially (est. 1400) with the aim of buying in the area (budget 350k.) Any suggestions on nice villages I can look at. We seem to be ok to rent in some places but then can't afford to buy in the area. I used to live up North but the South is a mystery to me! Travelling time for hubby about 1 hour. Any help appreciated.

Cyberworrier Tue 23-Jul-19 16:34:53

Hi, what school is your daughter going to? Are you looking for villages near Guildford or an hour away? I guess you would get more for your money an hour away from Guildford than say twenty mins away, particularly buying. Godalming is a nice town, Chiddingfold a lovely village. Really depends what you want in terms of amenities/location etc!

Madhatter007 Tue 23-Jul-19 17:08:51

Thank you, no school yet. I am looking for anything within an hour radius of Guildford really. Looking for something that a village but not too far from a town either.

Speckledhen10 Tue 23-Jul-19 17:15:47

Move to the village of Send (10 minute commute to Guildford) and send your DD to George Abbott School in Guildford. The village is the dream. Rural but with an amazing community spirit & fast commute to Guildford. Trains to Waterloo very frequent from nearby village. South coast very easily accessible. The perfect location !

Madhatter007 Tue 23-Jul-19 17:35:14

@speckledhen10 thank you will have a nosy!

Nicci04 Wed 11-Sep-19 13:17:10

Sorry, a bit late to the party! But thought I would share my experience. I am also from Cape Town and I have lived in Guildford for 5 years. Regarding schools, I would recommend Guildford County (near the University) also George Abbot. There are some decent independent schools if you are able to consider those (Tormead, Guildford High, St Catherine's (in Bramley). I find choosing schools here a mind field.
Guildford housing is really expensive. A three bed terraced house can go for around £390K at the moment. There are lovely towns just outside centre of Guildford - Shalford, Chilworth, Cranleigh, Gomshall, Wood Street Village, Normandy. There is also Merrow and Burpham. St Peter's Catholic school has a very good reputation. Personally I would go outside of Guildford. Roads can be hectic as the A3 runs through Guildford. I guess you have already moved to the UK and I hope the transition is going smoothly. Just shout if you have any other questions, happy to help if I can smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »