Talk

Advanced search

Kent Relocation

(9 Posts)
Kaya127 Tue 25-Jun-19 21:50:30

Hi. We are trying to research areas in and around Kemsley. So Sittingbourne, Rainham, Teynham, Faversham, Isle of Sheppey etc. Anything in a 15 mile radius. But the majority of threads we are reading are all quite negative, although these threads are quite old. Are they really that bad, or are there some nice areas about also? Any help or advice on this is greatly appreciated

RubberTreePlant Tue 25-Jun-19 21:56:22

Kemsley itself is grim. There's a lot of new(ish) build housing between there and Sittingbourne though, which is nice enough. The other side of Sittingbourne is pleasant and the high street is nice but small.

Sheppey I wouldn't touch myself. Teynham is tiny and okay. Rainham is a bit nothingy. Faversham very mixed.

You have to go to Canterbury, Medway Towns or Maidstone for the big stuff.

KoalasAteMyHomework Thu 27-Jun-19 05:53:54

I think like anywhere there are nice areas and bad areas to all those places. It really depends what you are looking for - for example if you need good train links to London then I'd say Rainham or Faversham. I'm personally not a fan of Sittingbourne but it does have its OK areas. Rainham has the little shopping precinct, good train links and some nice parks and schools. I don't know Faversham that well but always thought it had quite a nice vibe and it's close to Canterbury and Whitstable which is nice.
Sheppey has a couple of nice beaches and there's quite a few new builds going up but it does have some pretty rough areas and there isn't really huge amounts on the island in terms of shopping/jobs etc. Some areas have a very bad reputation and the trains are rubbish but equally Minster on Sea is popular with tourists and relocators from London.

Is there anything specific you wanted to know?

Kaya127 Fri 28-Jun-19 19:51:43

We need to be with a 30 minute (during rush hour) commute to Kemsley as that is where my DH will be working. We have a decent budget for a property. We want a family home in a nice community with some local amenities. We also have a dog so would like to be within walking distance of a park or dog friendly beach. Both of us drive so we are happy to have to travel a few miles for bigger shops etc.

BertrandRussell Fri 28-Jun-19 19:53:19

I live near Teynham- happy to answer questions about the area!

RubberTreePlant Fri 28-Jun-19 19:53:50

Look near the memorial hospital. Or one of the villages.

BertrandRussell Fri 28-Jun-19 19:57:57

I reckon Faversham would suit you- there are some nice dog walks and it’s only 20 minute drive to Whitstable for the beach or some lovely dog friendly woods- Perry Wood and Kings Wood are both lovely.

BertrandRussell Fri 28-Jun-19 19:58:48

But be warned about the dreaded 11+!

Kaya127 Mon 01-Jul-19 19:04:43

the dreaded 11+? What is that? We think we have narrowed it somewhere between Sittingbourne and Faversham. We are planning on coming up in a couple of weeks to have a look around. Is there a good sense of community in those areas as Kent? We won't know anyone so it would be nice to join a group or club or something to meet people.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »