Au pair contact rescinded

(7 Posts)
Londoner1818 Thu 20-Jun-19 22:44:37

Ladies
I heard a story that goes like this.....

An au pair leaves shortly after arriving when a better job came along and left the family with no help. On leaving the au pair stated she’d still like to go on the family holidays with them because they go on fun generous holidays. She didn’t like the new job,
In the meantime the family hired someone with a great reference and even did a trial. On the day the new au pair was supposed to start they sent her an email at 1 am saying they “reached out” to the old au pair who had left them and now begged come back, had a family meeting and the family including a two year old baby decided the old au pair should come back.
Meanwhile the new pair had not job the day she was meant to start and nowhere to live. She had been asked to start immediately which was earlier than she wanted and had cancelled all her arrangements to do so,
Your comments on this situation please.

Thanks Katie

OP’s posts: |
Mymomsbetterthanyomom Fri 21-Jun-19 10:06:59

That was extremely confusing and I'm not even sure what comments you are requesting...**I'm not trying to be rude.It just doesn't make much sense**

endofthelinefinally Fri 21-Jun-19 10:10:03

I would say the new au pair has had a lucky escape. But they should only seek employment via a reputable agency in future.

Nesssie Fri 21-Jun-19 10:12:53

The family were being very unfair to the new au pair, offering her a job and then cancelling it on the day she was suppose to start. If the new au pair had signed a contract they would be in trouble.

-The old au pair seems to have won this situation.
-The family are stupid to take back the old au pair, who left them in the lurch, then decided she still wanted the free family holidays, so got her job back
-The new au pair now has no job and no where to live.

endofthelinefinally Fri 21-Jun-19 10:13:56

I think OP means contract, not contact.

Londoner1818 Fri 21-Jun-19 15:40:34

A small typo
It should have read
Meanwhile ........ the new au pair had no job the day she was asked to start .....
I am wondering would this be tolerated in anything but a cheap labour job in for example an office. I personally find it disturbing on so many levels. The time of family discussion and turning the au pair down was BEFORE that day and before taking a reference etc etc.

Londoner1818 Fri 21-Jun-19 15:41:40

This is unethical if not illegal in my view.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in