Anyone live in Milton?

(18 Posts)
coffeecoffeesugar Tue 19-Mar-19 10:08:54

We are looking to buy in a village north of Cambridge which isn't too far from the centre. We are looking at Histon and Impington but its so expensive! Have heard good things about Milton so wanted to hear from anyone who lives there. We really want to be near a park for DS and also near good schools.

Also what are the nurseries like? Thank you!

OP’s posts: |
mastertomsmum Wed 20-Mar-19 10:08:45

The big advantage Milton has over Histon and Impington is that it is much easier to get into Cambridge. Both have some advantages of village life but are also, effectively, outer suburbs of the city. Cambridge is - essentially - quite a small town.

adulthumanwolf Wed 20-Mar-19 10:13:47

Milton is ok, definitely not as nice as Histon, and no nice pubs. IT does have the country park which is quite nice.

The thing that really gets me about Milton is the road up to it, Milton Road. There are so many accidents on that road and on the A14 near it that i've sat both on the guided bus and in a car stationary on Milton road for 2 hours on more than 1 occasion after 5pm. Rush hour is a nightmare.

But to be fair traffic and public transport is a nightmare at rush hour to all villages north of Cambridge.

mastertomsmum Wed 20-Mar-19 10:17:01

Interesting about the Milton Rd approach being a difficult way into Cambridge. I had thought that Newmarket Rd, Histon Rd and the way in from Bar Hill were probably worse.

adulthumanwolf Wed 20-Mar-19 10:38:35

They're all pretty bad - i go the bar hill way home - but I've never sat in traffic as long on the other routes as on Milton Rd.

DorothyParker111 Thu 21-Mar-19 06:50:54

Later this year a massive programme of civil engineering works will be starting on Milton Road. I imagine it will take at least two years to complete. Summarised here www.greatercambridge.org.uk/transport/transport-projects/milton-road/

Easilyflattered Thu 21-Mar-19 06:55:13

I think Milton gets whiffs of sewage works, you might want to check.

AnotherEmma Thu 21-Mar-19 06:58:59

No idea about the nurseries but Milton Country Park is nice.

I'd go with Histon & Impington or somewhere slightly further out on the busway route if I were you.

Snog Thu 21-Mar-19 07:07:40

It always used to smell of the sewerage plant when the wind blew the wrong way. This would definitely put me off. Not sure if this is still the case.

The country park is nice but you can hear the A 14 there unfortunately.

Histon/Impington is more expensive for a reason.

adulthumanwolf Thu 21-Mar-19 18:53:10

Oh yeah, I forgot about the poo factory.

AnotherEmma Thu 21-Mar-19 18:56:29

There are plans to move the sewage works (and build more houses on the site) but that obviously won't happen for several years.

adulthumanwolf Thu 21-Mar-19 18:59:50

There's also the dozens of traveller motorhomes that illegally take over Tesco car park for weeks at a time and leave bin bags of crap and gas canisters all over.

AnotherEmma Thu 21-Mar-19 19:01:38

You're really selling it 😂

BringOnTheScience Fri 22-Mar-19 08:29:35

There are definitely plans to move the sewage works. I know people at AW and it's just got funding approval.

Where's it moving to though?!!

Snog Fri 22-Mar-19 09:26:05

Does it still regularly smell of sewage there?

DorothyParker111 Fri 22-Mar-19 14:58:06

BringOnTheScience That's the key question isn't it! Councillors keen to crow about the money secured for housing etc, but not a word about which lucky community is going to pick up the sh*t ...

coffeecoffeesugar Mon 01-Apr-19 14:41:08

I've just seen these messages for some reason! Oh dear, now I have been put off. I'd heard it was nice!

OP’s posts: |
EmmaGrundyForPM Sun 07-Apr-19 03:17:47

Histon is much nicer than Milton. More facilities, better shops, better pubs. Milton country park is ok but you can hear the A14 really loudly there.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in