Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Swansea

(17 Posts)
pipiandbelle Wed 30-Jan-19 20:29:01

Hello mumsnetters

My husband and I are thinking of moving to be near my mum who lives in Mumbles. We have a 15 month old LG. I suppose I have a few doubts about moving that hopefully someone can comment on!
1) my husband is English and I'm Welsh (but don't sound it) and I'm worried we wouldn't fit in. I don't want my LG to have any issues for having English-sounding parents (if that makes sense).
2) not sure whether to pay the higher price to buy in Mumbles near my mum or to by somewhere cheaper nearby? Any nice areas? We'd prefer friendly but busy and diverse areas. Hippyish!

Thanks everyone smilesmile

PoutySprout Wed 30-Jan-19 20:33:52

I wouldn’t worry about 1 at all. Don’t know the area well enough to answer 2.

Jitters22 Wed 30-Jan-19 20:38:52

Of course you'll fit in!

Loads of 'English', Scottish and all sorts in that part of the world and it's 'lush' down there - I say that as a Pembrokeshire girl - ancestors going back generations. Further West than you but I love Swansea / Gower / Mumbles area and I'm a massive Ospreys fan.

Like you, despite being as Welsh as Bara Brith (and Welsh speaking too), I have an English accent and lived back in Wales for 13 years - never had a problem - and will be retiring back down there in a few years, once my kids have moved out and are off my hands. Not a day goes by I don't miss it. I'm back and forth all the time and never once has there been an issue with 'accent'. Your kids will soon settle in and before you know it they will be proper locals, and so will you.

If you mam is already there, you will know how welcoming and friendly they are in that part of the world and if you are a bit of an old hippie, you'll fit in just fine. Personally if it was me I wouldn't look to buy in Mumbles, but go for one of the outlying villages. Less touristy, you'll get more for your money and something semi-rural (so still busyish, just not full on town) should suit your hippyish lifestyle a little better maybe?

Go for it, is my advice. You won't regret it!

pipiandbelle Thu 31-Jan-19 19:48:20

Thanks both. Yes I'm sure you're right. I'm sure there are loads of people who have moved in and there are some lovely laid-back places there. Thanks for spurring me on! gringrinsmile

Nomdejeur Thu 31-Jan-19 19:49:41

If you don’t sound Welsh, you’ll fit in well in Mumbles.

Nomdejeur Thu 31-Jan-19 19:52:24

What is your budget OP? Mumbles is quite expensive and the houses are quite small, you may be better going further towards Swansea. Sketty/Uplands?

AvonCallingBarksdale Thu 31-Jan-19 19:54:46

We’ve just come back from Swansea - they’ve got some ace restaurants - Swigg and Langland Bay Brasserie. Add in gorgeous beaches and it’s a winner grin

lots33 Thu 31-Jan-19 19:59:06

Hello!
I’m English and live in Swansea with my welsh partner and DC.
My being English has never been an issue; IME Swansea is both open and friendly and diverse.
Mumbles is lovely, v family friendly and friendly, safe, lovely shops etc. You probably know it pretty well. It is v beach orientated and quite white MC, yummy mummy - but lovely all the same.
West Cross, Mayals - similar but cheaper. No real amenities but quiet, safe etc.
Sketty/uplands/ Brynmill - bit more rough round the edges, more diverse, livelier, safe and friendly, lots of Mc professionals, families, students. I came from Bristol and am most comfortable here but others would prefer prettier and less studenty! I like the buzz and the multi-culturalism. Schools are excellent in all of the areas I’ve mentioned.
Swansea is fab, we love it and have made a lot of friends in the city.

StepMug Thu 31-Jan-19 20:01:46

Swansea is the best. Mumbles is too busy/expensive for me personally but there are some really nice areas! I really like Gowerton/Penclawdd for the seaside feel. Uplands/Sketty is nice though, lots of students, short walk to city centre.

Wouldn’t worry about English accents. I’m English and know lots of other English people around. Though I do have a Welsh accent now!

pipiandbelle Thu 31-Jan-19 20:17:27

Nomdejeur/ budget up to 260 ish. Seen some nice places in Uplands for around that.

pipiandbelle Thu 31-Jan-19 20:20:19

Lots33- thanks for all that info. I'd like more multicultural too really and busy, but quiet and safe at night. I used to live in the centre of Brighton so you would have thought I'd be used to busy places but now I've had dc I want to be a bit more less edgy, if you know what I mean. Thanks for info about you and your husband. Makes me so much more relaxed about the idea to hear about others' experiences. Thank you smile

pipiandbelle Thu 31-Jan-19 20:27:29

Thanks stepmug- I won't have to Welsh it up then?! My accent just seems to come back as soon as I'm there! Hope my LG develops a Swansea accent- I think it sounds lovely! smile

IHeartKingThistle Thu 31-Jan-19 20:43:48

ILs are English and have been there nearly 40 years. They live in Mayals. It's lovely down there.

massistar Mon 11-Feb-19 13:22:52

I'm not Welsh and neither is my husband and we've lived in Mumbles for 10 years! I love it here. There are loads of people from outside Wales.. English, Scottish, Australian, Irish etc. and I've never felt it to be an issue.

Bipbopbee Mon 11-Feb-19 13:28:50

Following

mummyhaschangedhername Thu 07-Mar-19 21:15:04

I don't sound welsh either and my husband is Scottish but we fit right in in Swansea, mumbles is beautiful but the traffic at certain times is a nightmare. Sketty is a nice area, blackpill is a good area too. Uplands is fine too but used to full of students, not sure if they have migrated to other parts now since the extension of the university.

I live the other side if Swansea, the non-posh side. I do like it here though. I was brought up here but moved away and came back.

My children have no issue in school with being half Scottish, my eldest is Scottish and proud and has no issues with bullying to comments at all really, I'm in a very accepting area though. I don't see why you would have issues though. Swansea is fairly diverse.

St19 Fri 13-Sep-19 08:47:49

If you have moved and are looking for a friendlymum and tots you are welcome to join us at busy bees in ebenezer opp high st station on a mon am. Details on website/facebook

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »