Talk

Advanced search

Adopted a 2yo and have no mum network :(

(3 Posts)
hmargaretj Tue 15-Jan-19 06:31:35

Hello lovely Sheffielders,

I've recently become a mum by adoption to a gorgeous 2 year old girl. Me and my partner are enjoying it, although of course facing the usual challenges of toddlerhood.

I've noticed that a lot of mums meet others at NCT classes etc but of course as an adoptive parent, I haven't done this and as a result, I don't really have a network of mum friends.

Most of my friends are child-free or have older children, and I'm beginning to feel lonely and that I don't have anyone to talk to other than my partner. I've been to a few playgroups and tried to start up conversations, but people seemed to be mainly hovering and making sure their children didn't eat the plastic animals, rather than chatting at any length. We also go to a music group, swimming and to the medieval mayhem place. She loves them all and we have a great time together, but I don't really get to chat to people other than brief hellos.

I don't want to sound like a saddo - I do have friends, honest! ;), but I'm beginning to feel at a bit of a loose end. Are there any groups where mums and dads meet up to chat and support one another and meet new friends (with or without their children), that might be open to a new member?

At the risk of sounding a bit selfish, I guess I'm looking for something that's focussed on mums and dads too, rather than purely on the children.

BenScalesIsAGod Tue 15-Jan-19 06:34:07

Which area of Sheffield are you in? X

hmargaretj Tue 15-Jan-19 06:36:10

Sorry, I should have said that smile I'm in Walkley.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: