Talk

Advanced search

Primary schools: Milton Road vs University of Cambridge Primary

(5 Posts)
Bagpushkin99 Fri 30-Nov-18 21:52:48

Just looking for current parents' experiences of Milton Road and University of Cambridge Primary. Milton Road is our catchment school, but we aren't too far away from Univ Cam Primary. Liked both, touring them. Obviously Milton Road has had Ofsted woes. Would just love current parents' views: how much do you feel your child is learning? How good is the teaching? How open is the head to communication? Open-minded as (to be honest) have heard mixed reviews of both, but all a bit anecdotal... Many thanks.

Biscuitsneeded Sun 02-Dec-18 14:30:37

I have had 2 kids go through Milton Road in recent years. It had its troubled times with old Head but the new one is very nice, very approachable and not just obsessed with league tables. And despite everything both my kids had a great time at school and left with good SATs (if you care about that!). It's a friendly school and parents are very community-minded. Lots of great teachers although I don't know those at the lower end of the age range any more. If it's your catchment school I wouldn't complicate your life by going elsewhere - and don't underestimate the value of having very local friends for playdates, sharing pick-ups, borrowing costumes for dress-ups etc!

mastertomsmum Mon 03-Dec-18 12:53:14

So if Milton Rd is your catchment I'd go with it . We have friends at the school and they like it.

I think you will find that if you are in Milton Rd catchment then you have a journey across town in the rush hr to get to Univ Primary as it's quite a distance. Again, know people there. Seems ok apart rom slightly fanciful approach to uniform

Biscuitsneeded Mon 03-Dec-18 13:09:53

I think almost all Cambridge primaries do their job well. The children are happy and enjoy being at school and learn whattgey need to know to prepare for secondary. If the kids seem happy and the staff seem lively and engaged in your local school then I think going out of catchment is possibly not worth the extra effort.

NotAnotherJaffaCake Wed 05-Dec-18 14:25:22

I would take the University Ofsted with a skipload of salt. It is a politically very attractive school and hasn't had any KS2 SATS results yet, and therefore no comparitors. It's also stuffed with naice academic kids with tiny numbers of PP, and it's income is miles ahead of any Cambridge LA school.

Not saying it's not a good school, just that it's not a level playing field.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: