Talk

Advanced search

Primary school puzzle! - Parish or Harris Shortlands

(1 Post)
Kelwa Fri 30-Nov-18 15:35:44

Hi everyone.
My husband and I are currently in the process of applying for primary schools for our son to start next September. We've been to several open days of schools local to us and we're now stuck between two - Parish and Harris Shortlands.
Until the open day yesterday my husband and I had agreed on Parish. Our main concern was possibly how strict and demanding of its children it might be. My own personal concern is of the religious side of things as I am an athiest and not keen for religion to be put upon my child at such a young age. However, even with those in mind it seemed to be a good school and it's our closest.
Yesterday we visited Harris and really liked it. The atmosphere and ethos were generally lovely and we liked how the school was run, the classes, extra curricular activities etc. If this was the closest it would definitely be our first choice. Last year their catchment went as far as 1.4 miles and we are about 0.9 so well within for last year, but i'm worried that as the school becomes more well known and popular this catchment may reduce considerably. Plus they only have 60 places compared with Parish's 90 sad I'm worried about putting Harris as our 1st choice, missing out due to catchment and then missing Parish because it wasn't our 1st!!
Any advice?? I really don't know what to do!
Thank you

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »