Talk

Advanced search

Universal Credit and working part time

(12 Posts)
Frankiiieee Thu 22-Nov-18 21:33:36

I'm a single mum and might have to go on to Universal Credit and am worried as I work 21 hrs and I think that you have to work full time. Does anyone have any experience of this - what happens if you're not working full-time? Would be good to hear some experiences.

MattBerrysHair Thu 22-Nov-18 21:41:43

Im a single mum on UC. I work 16-20 hours a week self-employed as I have a disibility and I'm not expected to do more, which I wouldn't be capable of anyway. My dc are primary school age. How old are yours?

Frankiiieee Thu 22-Nov-18 21:48:37

Mine are older - in high school.Maybe yours is a different situation if you have a disability?

MissMalice Thu 22-Nov-18 21:49:32

It does depend on age. I think if they’re over 12 you’re expected to work 35 hours.

KlutzyDraconequus Thu 22-Nov-18 21:50:08

How old are the children?

They work on a sliding scale, for me, my daughter is 5 and they expect.me to be working 25 hours a week.
But for the interim it'll basically work like this:
They'll award you amounts in regard to being a single person, £317 I think it is. Then a housing element, 100% of rent if in a housing association house, 80% if private renting. (I think it's 80% but not totally sure) then they'll award a set amount as child element, dependant on age and number of children. They'll total all that up and then take off what you earn, they won't minus 100% of what you earn tho, it'll be around 80-90% I believe though. Then they'll pay you the remainder.

They'll pay this in one monthly payment.

BUT all that doesn't matter, I'm going to tell you what does, as not many people know about this.

They assign you a period of time for 'Assessment' mine runs from 8th of one month to 8th of the next.
If you're working and you get paid monthly in your assessment period, that's good.
If, however, you're paid 4 weekly, you might end up with 2 payments in your assessment period.. if you do.. they will end your clinic automatically and you'll have to reclaim.
If you're paid weekly, any month with 5 weeks in, they'll end your claim automatically and you'll have to re claim.

So be prepared for that as it might catch you out.

Also, childcare, should you need it, you will have to pay it yourself up front for the first month and then claim it back from UC the next month after submitting invoices and receipts to them.

Be prepared for the first 5 weeks with no money and the following month with less than they should pay as frequently the first payment is lower than it should be.

It should all be detialed in the Gov.Uk website but a lot of details are harder to find.

KlutzyDraconequus Thu 22-Nov-18 21:51:18

Helpful info here:

www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-different-earning-patterns-and-your-payments/universal-credit-different-earning-patterns-and-your-payments-payment-cycles

Frankiiieee Thu 22-Nov-18 21:54:35

Sounds like a bit of a nightmare if you have to reclaim all the time!

Frankiiieee Thu 22-Nov-18 21:55:40

Klutzy. Do you have to wait weeks for your money evry time your claim is ended?

Frankiiieee Thu 22-Nov-18 22:01:10

Klutzy, what would they do if you weren't working 25 hrs? What do you have to do?

KlutzyDraconequus Thu 22-Nov-18 22:01:52

As far as I know the claim ends and you have to reclaim and wait 4-5 weeks again for next payment.

It really is a nightmare for weekly paid staff. I'm.totally unemployed and screwed by the childcare part of it.

I have about £50 spare a.month, I can't afford to pay out 100s in child care and then claim it back. Plus, you only get 85% of childcare back.
Doomed whichever way I look at it. Lol

Frankiiieee Thu 22-Nov-18 22:03:20

Yeah - and it's supposed to make it easier for people to work! I'm dreading it to be honest and am going to put it off as long as possible, I think

KlutzyDraconequus Thu 22-Nov-18 22:06:17

Cause I'm.totally unemployed I have to job search for 25 hours a week, apply for any job they tell me too and visit the job centre every week.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »