Talk

Advanced search

North Cambridge - buses

(20 Posts)
DelphiniumBlue Sun 18-Nov-18 10:53:52

Hoping for advice from someone who knows the area.
My son has recently moved to the area for his first proper job. He seems quite isolated and I am a bit worried. He says one of the reason s he's not going out ( at all at weekends or in the evening) is because the bus service is so unreliable , and therefore getting in to the centre is difficult. He's also saying there's nothing at all happening locall y).
I'm telling he has to make more of an effort to get involved but I can see it's hard.
So all you locals, how bad are the buses, stretchers particular services which are better than others, and what is there to do ( Milton area)?

AddTextHere Sun 18-Nov-18 11:39:07

From Milton he should definitely cycle into Cambridge. Otherwise, he will need to move towards the city centre or use Uber taxis. Or get a small car... Public transport is generally unreliable.

Encourage him to join one or more MeetUp groups.

www.meetup.com/cities/gb/c3/cambridge/?_cookie-check=E_fr74IGhm262zT4

Does he like walking? He could join a rambling group.

www.walkinginengland.co.uk/cambridge/groups.php

If he likes sport, he could join a rowing club.

Also, events organised by Cambridge University clubs and societies are open to non-members of the university.

Or a group like this? They meet monthly for lunch and organise events.
www.cambridgeinternationalclub.co.uk/

Basically every large school has evening courses (languages, crafts, music, sport) and many churches let their halls to various groups that welcome new members.

There are also drama clubs and schools.

Churchillian Sun 18-Nov-18 11:46:37

He needs a bike. Bus services are crap but there is an off road bike track pretty much all the way from
Milton to Central Cambridge. I wouldn’t advise a car - parking and driving in Cambridge are generally awful. Otherwise could he move closer to town?

ShalomJackie Sun 18-Nov-18 11:54:02

Yes - we can tell he is new in Cambridge as Milton to Cambridge is definitely "bike" territory. Where is he working? If on the science park most firms have social events too.

DelphiniumBlue Sun 18-Nov-18 13:20:29

Thanks so much everyone. I wasn't sure if he was just being negative, but seems like this is real issue.
He does work in the Science park, but there doesn't seem to be much going on at his firm, maybe he needs to cast his net wider within the park. He's not sporty , is quite unfit and is intimidated by gyms, and finds bikes uncomfortable, but I think he's going to have to bite the bullet on that.
He's checking out the local schools and colleges as we speak for evening/ weekend classes, and I think Meet up is great idea.
If anyone knows of local pub quizzes where he could join others that would be great!

DelphiniumBlue Sun 18-Nov-18 13:22:55

ShalomJackie thanks for the suggestion, do you know if there is anything going on in the Science Park, maybe hosted by particular companies,but open to anyone who works there?

BringOnTheScience Sun 18-Nov-18 21:35:56

Science Park events are here: www.cambridgesciencepark.co.uk/community/park-life/social-events/
I work there too, but my firm's activities are for our employees only.

Golden Hind on Milton Rd usually has lots of stuff going on. m.facebook.com/goldenhindcambridge/?_rdr

Regarding nothing happening locally ... errm ... this is Cambridge! Gigs at the Corn Exchange or the Junction. Theatre at the Arts or ADC. Multiple cinemas. Countless free public lectures at the Uni.

"Hey colleagues, I saw that XYZ are playing at the Junction next week. Is anyone interested in going?"

"Hey colleagues, any [insert movie genre] fans? Who fancies seeing MNOP next week?"

DelphiniumBlue Sun 18-Nov-18 23:38:26

Thanks for those links, have forwarded them on to him.
He is what my gran used to call "a bit backward in coming forward". Is a bit negative generally, which is why I wanted to check it out. I wasn't sure if he was just moaning or whether it really is an issue. I can see getting into Cambridge centre for cinema/ theatre is a problem, which is why it's great to hear that there is stuff going on locally, and he just needs to steel himself to go along .

DelphiniumBlue Sun 18-Nov-18 23:42:05

All this info from people who know the area- I knew you people would have some good answers! This is the power of MN- thanks everyone.

EmmaGrundyForPM Mon 19-Nov-18 13:20:38

If he's in Milton then he can definitely bike to work and into Cambridge.

The Lion and Lamb pub in Milton is very friendly and the landlady, Sally, organised lots is special evenings. Also lots of clubs meet there - one of my friends is in a car owners club (can't remember what type of car!) That meets there once a month.

BlueChampagne Mon 19-Nov-18 13:54:39

Evening classes at Hills Road Sixth Form (and others).
Cycle parking and music at the Haymakers, Chesterton.
If he likes board games, Heffers do late Friday nights.

DelphiniumBlue Tue 20-Nov-18 00:05:00

Board games is right up his street, I'll pass that on, also tell him to check out the pubs mentioned. Thanks so much.

AddTextHere Tue 20-Nov-18 09:11:38

Last night I was waiting for someone in front of a game shop (Inner Sanctum Collectibles) and it was full of young people playing, chatting and laughing - and thought of this thread! So tell your son to check out the various shops and to enquire about clubs and events if it's something he might like.

www.facebook.com/events/314953315761724/

Regarding transport, how about an electric bike? Or a motor scooter? But personally, in the longer term, I'd look at moving to an area like Mill Road which is more fun for someone his age. He could keep an eye on a FB called Cambridge accommodation and flatshare.

SacharissaCrisplock Tue 20-Nov-18 09:20:13

The Haymakers also has a regular quiz (every other Monday - there was one last night) and a board games night too. It's not far from Milton to Chesterton so even if he got a taxi it wouldn't cost too much. It also has good beer and cider.

BlueChampagne Tue 20-Nov-18 13:09:48

If it's cycling confidence that's the issue, Outspoken offer training www.outspokentraining.co.uk/adult-cycle-training-all-areas

EmmaGrundyForPM Tue 20-Nov-18 21:44:47

Also, there's a great social group called "Skeptics in the pub" : cambridge.skepticsinthepub.org/

They have events (in a pub) and there's also a book group. I've been to some of the talks and they are great. Your son might like to ask some people in his office if they'd be interested in going along t one with him.

SoftSheen Tue 20-Nov-18 21:47:59

Everyone in Cambridge cycles: he needs to get a bike. Cambridge is a small city with lots of cycle paths and cycle lanes, making it very easy to get about.

Biscuitsneeded Sun 02-Dec-18 14:52:06

You can't be a young person in Cambridge and not cycle unless there are disability issues that mean you can't. It's how everyone gets about! I think the No 2 bus also goes from Milton to and from town although I've never used it. To be honest if you can't find things to do in Cambridge then I don't know where you would find them!! Appreciate it's difficult if you're quite shy and new to the area but there's load son offer if he can be brave.

Wuffleflump Thu 13-Dec-18 15:03:11

In terms of comfort, it might be an issue of getting the right bike and setting it up right. Any of the independent bike shops should be able to do this, but it's not as cheap as just getting something second hand. However the wrong bike could cause joint or back issues, or just be too uncomfortable to want to use.

Fitness shouldn't be an issue. It will improve quickly enough for regular journeys, and lots of slow cycling around the place. The Jane Coston bridge from Milton to Cambridge is a bit steep, but pushing is acceptable if it's a struggle at first.

Nesssie Thu 13-Dec-18 15:06:36

The Milton Park and Ride is very cheap and reliable, every 15mins.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »