Talk

Advanced search

Trying to decide between Bradford-on-Avon and Malmesbury. Any input welcome

(5 Posts)
Otterspotter Sun 28-Oct-18 21:42:50

Not sure if this is the best place to post but giving it a go for traffic.

I am getting divorced and selling my family home in North London with a view to moving closer to my Mum in Wiltshire.

I have two young children who are 3 and nearly 7 and am quite apprehensive about my new life as a single mum. I really want to get this move right for them (also me of course).

I have focussed in on these two areas as they both seem really lovely, nice places to raise children, and they have great schools. The transport links and proximity to Bath makes Bradford-on-Avon stronger in that respect, but (probably because of this) you certainly seem to get that bit more for your money in terms of housing in Malmesbury (I am looking at modest 3 bed terraced houses).

I would appreciate any input at all...for example about schools, social stuff going on, a general comparison of the two, anything really.

TIA

CallMeMousie Sun 28-Oct-18 21:47:00

My sister lives in Bradford on Avon and it seems great. The schools are all well thought of (hers are 3 and 5) and there are a few good nurseries too. She always seems to be getting involved in arts councils and different groups. I think the traffic in town can be a pain - we often get stuck going through the centre so depends if you plan to drive through the town much, but she seems very happy there!

Fizzy13 Tue 18-Dec-18 14:04:23

We live near Malmesbury and its lovely.
You are 30min from Bath and also Cirencester so there are options for shopping/activities. Chippenham is another nearby centre for sports/music etc
We feel there is plenty to do and its very friendly.
Can't compare as I don't really know Bradford at all, sorry!

DaffydownClock Tue 18-Dec-18 14:11:20

The BoA traffic is horrific, I certainly wouldn't want to be trying to get through the town everyday. Yes it has rail and bus links to Bath but that doesn't compensate in my opinion.
Malmesbury is lovely but no station - I would definitely prefer to live there (I live near Chippenham)

Otterspotter Wed 20-Feb-19 09:33:38

Bumping my old thread as still trying to decide!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »