Talk

Advanced search

Admissions criteria figures from last year?

(11 Posts)
Peggetty Thu 25-Oct-18 18:06:35

Does anyone know how to find which criteria a school went down to last year during admissions?

Am looking at St Bede’s and going round in circles. I can see the criteria but not how far they went down the list.

I seem to remember when we did primary there was a section on the County website which said how far down the oversubscribed criteria each had gone.

GlowWine Thu 25-Oct-18 18:10:24

Try this on the Admissions Web site - sorry I haven't opened every PDF to check but "year 7 allocation" sounds right?

www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/residents/children-and-families/schools-&-learning/school-admissions-documents/school-allocation-information-for-previous-academic-years/

GlowWine Thu 25-Oct-18 18:28:39

Ok, I've looked now and it says 'Other' - presumably they have the right not to disclose how far they went down their hierarchy of denominations. I am aware of children in Cambridge not getting in in various recent years and they were criteria 2 or possibly 3.

PatriciaHolm Thu 25-Oct-18 18:36:30

This has it - and says criteria 1..

ccc-live.storage.googleapis.com/upload/www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/residents/children-and-families/Secondary%20Directory%202017-2018.pdf?inline=true

Peggetty Thu 25-Oct-18 21:17:05

Thanks this is great.
Eek.

mastertomsmum Fri 26-Oct-18 13:53:52

my son is in current Yr8. The criteria changed to the current pattern in his admissions year - ie the most important after siblings is Catholic or CofE and regular/weekly church attendance. In his peer group at local primary close to the school, 6 kids got in. One of them was weekly church attender but not CofE or Catholic and had a sibling at the school. Of those unsuccessful there was one child in same position as the aforementioned but without sibling at the School and an irregular attender of Catholic Church. I don't think distance criteria was applied.

I am given to understand that it was even more tricky in the last admissions round for the current Yr7's. I don't know of any siblings who were turned down but some friends who moved and could not - therefore - say they had attended the same church for the last yr on a weekly basis, didn't get a place.

ChoccyJules Fri 26-Oct-18 17:34:49

Thanks for this.

I know a family whose second child didn’t get in when the eldest did, they are Christian but not CofE or Catholic.

Will have to have a strong second choice nailed down...but haven’t got one we particularly like.

ChoccyJules Fri 26-Oct-18 17:35:38

I guess in a few years time they will have the second site (federation school or similar?) and then the pressures will ease for those who come after us.

ChoccyJules Fri 26-Oct-18 17:36:22

Oh see what I did there? blush

cakeaddict Sat 27-Oct-18 22:23:43

I think that the criteria for St Bede's are so complex that the LEA pretty much put 'other' because it's easier than trying to explain what has really happened! I emailed the admissions team last year to try and get clarity - it isn't that clear, but they did give me more info than is published in the guide. Might be worth doing if you are concerned about your eligibility.

mastertomsmum Mon 29-Oct-18 13:34:34

I just noticed this on the St Bede's website.

'sibling is defined as a child either living in the same home or blood-related but living at a different address'

This is interesting as I know someone who has a half-sibling at the school who probably got a place offer from this and distance criteria rather than church attendance.

There is an element of lottery to the whole process, although I am sure that the LEA would hotly dispute this assertion (wink)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »