Talk

Advanced search

Things to do and see in Edinburgh this month

(5 Posts)
Parisbun Wed 19-Sep-18 22:28:46

Im heading up to Edinburgh for a much longed for visit soon. I will be staying near the castle and want to experience as much as possible. I am not a 'walker' - have a slight disability but am mobile enough.
I am looking at Mary Kings close as a must do as this is what made me want to visit Edinburgh in the first place. Besides that what else can I do on a long weekend. Im worried I might just mooch about in shops and cafes and waste the time while missing fantastic things.
I dont have much money to spare but will pay for experiences that are worth the payment.

KingLooieCatz Thu 20-Sep-18 14:02:04

The interesting bits are pretty compact, although quite hilly. The city centre lends itself exceptionally well to a slow mooch admiring the architecture, frequent café stops and browsing in interesting shops so you should be able to do plenty of that without feeling you've missed out.

It's worth getting down to Princes Street to see the gardens and look back at the old town and castle. Two free art galleries on the Mound (in the middle of Princes Street and on the way to/from the old town) if you're into that kind of thing.

The Castle itself is quite expensive, don't feel obliged, it's not the greatest castle once you're inside it. If you can make it up as far as the drawbridge you'll get good views.

Recommend from there mooching down the Royal Mile. You can get free tours of the Scottish Parliament (I think not Sundays, maybe worth checking).

The Museum of Edinburgh is free and although a bit dry it has a good audio visual of the history of Edinburgh.

You might swerve off, especially to go down Victoria Street to the Grassmarket (has an actual market on Saturdays) and up Candlemaker Row to see Greyfriars Kirk and Greyfriars Bobby.

Greyfriars Bobby is opposite Chambers Street with its massive free museum.

There are a few fairly reasonable museum type things along the way like John Knox's House, but I wouldn't get FOMO about it. Wandering the streets and popping into cafes is a good use of your time in Edinburgh.

The weather can change quickly so layers are recommended. Comfy shoes also recommended.

Otterseatpuffinsdontthey Thu 20-Sep-18 14:13:50

Can I add on the Botanical Gardens - beautiful & free - unless you go into the Glass Houses (worth a visit - but you have to pay - can't remember how much - you'd need to check online). Try to choose a dry day smile
Also free is the Museum of Childhood.
There are 2 Museums of Modern Art - free entry. Nearby is Dean Village - lovely walk along the Water of Leith.

Parisbun Thu 20-Sep-18 17:47:54

Thank you King and Otters . Some good ideas there. I do like museums although might restrict them to one a day but mooching is something I excel at .
Glad to know that the main streets are literally where its at. Ill have to make myself a route I can follow on my phone using your suggestions.

Fadingmemory Sat 22-Sep-18 10:44:24

Rembrandt at the National Gallery (££ though), Victoria Crowe exhibition at National Portrait Gallery.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »