Talk

Advanced search

Friendly Villages near St Albans

(5 Posts)
mariaedward Fri 14-Sep-18 23:46:22

We are a young family of 3 looking to move out of grey London. Would love to get some advice on villages/towns that are an easy commute to Blackfriars, London (preferably 45 mins max). I keep hearing good things about the St Albans commute. We'd love it to be a family-friendly location with green bits (unlike London!) an active community with tons of community spirit, character/detached properties, a pub/cafe and some local shops. A place with a bit of soul (and pavements...so you don't have to get in your car to grab a pint of milk!). We are willing to pay a higher price for the right thing but I feel like we are looking for the impossible...does anywhere like this exist out there? Harpenden? Kimpton? Or best sticking to St Albans? Thanks x

madeyemoodysmum Fri 14-Sep-18 23:49:27

Harpenden is more of a town I'd say but it does have a small community feel.
Kimpton is a lovely village.
Wheathampsted is very nice too
Sandridge just out of st alb has good schools

MrsMaria Tue 18-Sep-18 18:43:52

Thanks. Wheathampstead looks lovely. There are not many houses up for sale there right now-maybe a good sign?! smile Bit worried that if you go somewhere outside of St Albans, the traffic to the station will make my husband's commute too long (over 45mins). Although if friendly community then maybe it's worth it...

Lulabelle14 Tue 18-Sep-18 19:02:12

Kings Langley and Abbots Langley are both nice areas with easy commute to London from a Kings Langley station straight to Euston in twenty mins. Very green and family focused

MrsMaria Sat 22-Sep-18 17:25:10

Thank you so much for your suggestion. Abbot Langley looks very beautiful but unfortunately the commute is too long. I'm going to keep scouring the train route maps! ;-)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »