Talk

Advanced search

house buying newbie - advice!

(1 Post)
danielleir Tue 21-Aug-18 21:30:30

Hi

Me and my boyfriend are faced with the rather daunting task of buying our first flat... it feels like we've been looking forever now although I don't think just over a month qualifies.

The biggest hurdle we're facing is location. We've both grown up in Hertfordshire (me London Colney, him Radlett) and know we want to stay near to family. We have a maximum budget in the region of £220k and rather grand dream of a nice 2 bed flat in a nice area, closeish to home, with a long lease and reasonable service charge. He works in Elstree and me in London (although been near a station isn't a must if he can drop me at Borehamwood in the mornings). We're both in our early 20's so would like to have the option of being able to get into a town or London or even just a pub.

My question is basically - are we mad??Will we be able to tick those boxes or do we need to lower expectations/up our budget? And what areas should we be looking?

So far we're considering: Hemel, Hatfield, Watford, some of Hertford, and villages in-between. Anywhere to stay clear of? Any golden gems you know of?

All help and advice is massively appreciated! thank you so much x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »