Talk

Advanced search

Move to St Albans

(8 Posts)
Looking2Move Thu 16-Aug-18 08:54:51

Hi there,

My husband and I are looking to move out of busy expensive north London and love St Albans. We only really know the town Centre and have been to the Arena a few times and wondered what residential areas would be good to look at? Hubby will also need to commute into London for work and school run is to Barnet. We are not complicating matters much?
We also need to consider secondary schools for our daughter, and potentially special school for our son with ASD, (depending on how he gets on)... They are only 3 and 5 at the moment but we are trying to think long term so as not to move again!
Thinking it will come down to budget as will probably only be able to look at up to 365K for a house.
TIA

Rainbowtrees Thu 16-Aug-18 09:02:34

Herts has a poor reputation for SEN, it’s very difficult to get help for a child with ASD.
St Albans has good train links to London and there are plenty of secondary schools to choose from for your DD. The lack of SEN provision and the difficulties in accessesing what is available would be my main concern.

Looking2Move Thu 16-Aug-18 09:07:10

Hi Rainbowtrees

Thanks for your advice. It sounds like a concern, although he already has an EHCP. I have heard some boroughs take away funding if you move in and reassess the child all over again.

DecoratingNovice Thu 16-Aug-18 09:17:37

I loved in St Albans for a while and loved it, but I don't think you'd be able to find anything for £365k. It's pretty much London prices as demand is so high.

Would you consider Hemel Hempstead instead? Great train links and family facilities (so I heard), but more affordable.

Sorry I don't have kids so can't comment on the schools.

Good luck with the move smile

honeysucklejasmine Thu 16-Aug-18 09:20:48

You won't get much for £365k in St Albans!

Looking2Move Thu 16-Aug-18 10:33:30

Thanks all for your messages. Ok so maybe we rule out St Albans then! My husbands keen on Knebworth or Welwyn Garden City. Looks like we need to do some driving around and research house prices.
Thanks again !

Looking2Move Thu 16-Aug-18 10:34:11

And Hemel Hempstead !

Rainbowtrees Thu 16-Aug-18 10:38:30

Trains into London will be better from WGC than knebworth. Secondary schools in WGC are ok but none are outstanding, however there is a very good girls school in Hatfield many go to.

The fact your son has an EHCP already in place is a huge benefit as that’s the first hurdle complete.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »