Talk

Advanced search

Relocating to Woodbridge - School Question Please!

(11 Posts)
GetMeTea Wed 15-Aug-18 14:05:18

Hello lovely Mumsnetters! I have been lurking and absorbing Suffolk info for a while now and have learnt an awful lot on Mumsnet about areas etc, so thank you for that!

We're hoping to relocate to Woodbridge, in 12-18 months (for various reasons we can't move until then unfortunately!). We're only about an hour away now, but would like to make the move from Essex to Suffolk, in particular Woodbridge. We've recently spent a week near there on holiday and absolutely loved it.

My daughter is now going into Year 6, so we would probably be applying end of Year 6 or mid-Year 7 to Farlingaye High School, not ideal I know! I just wondered what our chances would be of securing her a place do you think, is it generally oversubscribed? And if we were unsuccessful, where do you think she would end up being offered a place? I was hoping that any Suffolk ladies in the know might be able to advise me?

Thank you for your help!

x

GetMeTea Tue 21-Aug-18 13:11:21

Hmmmm, having had a good trawl of the net, it seems that I'll be extremely lucky to secure a place at Farlingaye mid-year, in any year! That being the probable case, please could someone tell me what the nearest undersubscribed state secondary school would be for Woodbridge? I can see that Kesgrave is also generally oversubscribed, but am not sure which other closest school generally has spaces available? Thank you for your help!

ZuttZeVootEeVro Tue 21-Aug-18 13:33:07

Have you looked at Thomas mills in Framingham?

There aren't that many options round there, so I'd be surprised if they didn't fit in year applicants in farlingaye, thomas mills or kesgrave.

Finfintytint Tue 21-Aug-18 13:38:21

Felixstowe Academy?

GetMeTea Tue 21-Aug-18 13:45:02

Thank you ladies, I'll check both of those out! I've read that in-year applications to Farlingaye are rarely successful, it's generally only through the usual pre-Year 7 or Year 12 routes as it's so popular.

Hewright Fri 30-Nov-18 14:28:36

No idea I'm afraid but we are looking to move from Essex to Woodbridge too. Someone else I know has also done just that. Worried about getting in a school but what will be will be I guess! Good luck with your search x
Ps hoping it's not mainly old people which is what people keep telling me!

Trumpetboysmum Fri 30-Nov-18 14:34:33

No it really isn’t mainly old people , especially not in Woodbridge also not in Framlingham ( maybe more so in some of the villages?) lots and lots of families and good schools !! It’s great smile

GetMeTea Sat 01-Dec-18 14:59:31

Hi Hewright, how old are your children and when are you looking to move? How long ago did your friend move? We're still not decided on whether to make the move or not, it's all job dependent! We live in a town with lots of old people in Essex, so it wouldn't bother us too much!! We visited Woodbridge and Framlingham in the summer and they were both lovely, Woodbridge especially seemed full of life and families :-) My only concern was how much new housing development was going on, as that's something we were hoping to leave behind. I realise that it is an issue everywhere, and people need houses, but where we presently live over development is particularly bad and the infrastructure just isn't there to deal with the constant influx of people. I'm concerned that the lovely east coast of Suffolk may suffer the same fate, though hopefully their town planners are better than ours!

Trumpetboysmum Sat 01-Dec-18 15:12:31

Yes we’re conceryabout that too - I just don’t think you can escape it these days . In some ways at least it hopefully keeps the communities alive as it will mean more housing for families etc

Hewright Sat 01-Dec-18 21:14:46

Hello, kids 5 and 2 currently at a great school in Leigh-on-sea so need to make sure we move to a good school and area with plenty of kids! Friend moved this year near framlingham and loves it!
I think there are new houses going up everywhere but they seem to be in concentrated small area just out of towns. Where i live now there's no more space! It's only flats going up in spare tiny places so I'm used to it! Love being by the water but want some open green space for my children to run!!

Skyejuly Sat 23-Mar-19 15:34:19

Hey. My child started farlingaye mid year 8 x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: