Talk

Advanced search

Surrey Lofts

(18 Posts)
Howes Mon 13-Aug-18 21:19:07

We are about to agree a contract with Surrey Lofts and I would like some independent reviews. Any advice if anyone has used them? Or if anyone has any other contractors they can recommend who can manage the project from beginning to end.

OP’s posts: |
Epsom25 Fri 11-Jan-19 12:30:26

Hello, I just came across your post and wanted to see how your loft conversion went with Surrey Lofts? Did you experience any problems? who would you recommend? Thank you in advance.

Howes Wed 19-Jun-19 20:13:37

Sorry Epsom25 they were awful
Hope you didnt end up using them. They have only just finished but it was horrific!

daddykelly Mon 14-Oct-19 00:29:33

Hi Howes! We're having terrible trouble with SL. What were the issues you had?

Howes Mon 14-Oct-19 16:10:31

Hi daddykelly. Everything they were awful. Planning permission we had to sort. They constructed one of the rooms half a meter too small. They charged us an extra pounds to install a shower despite it being on plans. We went away for two weeks and came home to a bomb site. None of our furniture was covered. House was destroyed we had to koved out a further two weeks. They whole process was awful and the project manager was useless and pointless. Would not ever use them again nor recommend them. I keep meaning to review them. Mark hasnt replied to my complaints. Hope you get it resolved. The whole thing was poorly managed and stressful. Good luck.

daddykelly Mon 14-Oct-19 18:41:36

Thank you! I think I'm going to end up having to take them to court....

Howes Mon 14-Oct-19 19:20:46

Oh gosh what have the done / not done. Do please update hopefully we can prevent other people suffering the same. The whole thing was exhausting!

christinamac79 Wed 23-Oct-19 14:09:05

We've had an awful experience with Surrey Lofts and Mark Grimshaw! Stay away from this company!

They did a terrible job on our loft extension, then when we were on holiday their plumber flooded our downstairs and destroyed our back room. They're now denying any liability and we may have to take them to court, as the damage is extensive. One of the worst things was they actually stole money from our child's charity jar (yes we have evidence).

The process was terrible, the project manager useless, zero communication after the first week, he never answered his phone, constantly lied to us and the office, he didn't know what was needed or what to do. He didn't even know there was supposed to be an electrical certificate supplied before building control signed off. We constantly had to take in materials because they never showed up, they took the key to our garage and stole items out of it, as well as stole from our house. It all culminated in the job failing building control due to their incompetence.

We've now had to pay external tradesmen to come in and finish in order to bring the work up to a suitable finish for decorating, as the quality of the work was so shockingly bad.

They started in June, it's now end of October and we're still waiting for them to repair the damage they caused.

We've now had them referred to Trading Standards and been advised by Citizens Advice that they're violating the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and to take them to court if they don't put things right.

Here's the lowlights of all the things they did: surreyloftsreviews.com/surrey-lofts-review-list-of-problems-we-had/

christinamac79 Wed 23-Oct-19 19:14:50

After posting my earlier review of Surrey Lofts, the owner called threatening us and threatening me personally. He said leaving a bad review invalidates our guarantee, which is completely untrue and that he would ruin my career. I hope no one else will bow to this blatant bullying.

Megs1983x Thu 31-Oct-19 16:35:09

Hi Guys

Wow im really shocked to hear this after the conversion we recently had with Surrey lofts. we had a fantastic experience and couldn’t fault surrey lofts at all.They were brilliant with us from start to finish, great communication, friendly guys on site and never a moan or grumble even when they were getting soaked through in the rain.We were given a time period of 8-10 weeks but they finished our loft conversion all within 7 weeks.
I could not recommend Surrey Lofts more highly and I’m sorry to hear you have had a bad experience with them.

Both my aunt and my friend both highly recommended them after they carried out conversions. Who was your contracts manager? We had Peter as our Contracts manager and my aunt and friend both had Leigh.

christinamac79 Thu 31-Oct-19 17:05:34

Our project manager was Andy Wayte and he was absolutely terrible. So were all of his guys. They were all awful, but the worst experience came from Mark Grimshaw, the owner. He's the one who called us threatening us if we didn't take the review down. They have only good reviews up online, and now I know why - he calls threatening people if they post a bad review. Perhaps the work depends on who your project manager is, but I would never recommend them to anyone, simply because of Mark and his threatening phone calls.

Howes Thu 31-Oct-19 18:07:08

Our project manager was Vicki
....useless and pointless

christinamac79 Thu 31-Oct-19 20:11:49

Vicki was our in-house project manager. She was nice enough, but still very ineffective. Our on-site project manager was originally Marius, but he didn't show up for 3 weeks and it turned out he'd stolen from the company and fled the country (why Surrey Lofts told us this is beyond me!). After that we had Andy Wayte, who was the worst one of all.

2boysl Fri 10-Jan-20 16:08:44

Another negative experience here

christinamac79 Fri 10-Jan-20 16:38:22

I'm so sorry to hear that 2boysl! I posted my review on Google, but looks like it's not show up for some reason now. Grrr. I'd suggest posting a review on Google and contact Trading Standards.

They still haven't fixed our downstairs after they caused massive water damage, and looks like we'll have to go to court to get any resolution. This is going back to summer. sad

christinamac79 Fri 10-Jan-20 16:46:34

I've created a website reviewing Surrey Lofts if anybody wants to post their own website or have a look. Any hits will make it rank higher, as will time spent on the website. And you can leave your own review also (top right 'Leave Your Surrey Lofts Review)! I want to make sure people find out the truth about what they're doing to people.
surreyloftsreviews.com/

HungryForSnacks Tue 12-May-20 14:34:22

Another negative experience here. I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to add a note in case anyone was searching for info

Epsom25 Sat 20-Jun-20 13:35:28

So we did end up selecting Surrey Lofts to do our extension and also had a bad experience with them (especially with Mark). Leigh was our PM and cut so many corners! We experienced a lot of problems with them too sad

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in