Advanced search

Cohabitting families please be aware

(11 Posts)
Orla122 Sun 17-Jun-18 15:43:23

I never realised how easy it was to be made homeless. As I know many people do I was cohabiting with my partner and my name was not on any rental agreement or bills so there was no proof I made any financial contribution to the home which in turn lead me to have no legal rights to my only home. Also because my ex partner is on the birth certificates of the children and his sole name on everything connected to the house because of this the law has made me homeless and taken all my parental rights from me. I have to find a house (minimum 2 beds) so I can have any custody of my children. social housing wont provide a two bed without the custody of the children and I cant get custody without a 2bed property. This is the law and the government putting me in a cycle of nothingness. I cant even get private rental because the landlords wont except housing benefits. If you are cohabiting or no someone who is either get out or get legal agreements. I didn't believe it would happen to me but here we are I have no money no where to live no access to my children and the only way to get my children back is to raise enough money to get myself somewhere to live. I need at least £3000 to secure a two bed private rental. That's a deposit first moths rent and 3 extra months rent to give me the time to sort all my benefits. Anyone with any idea or suggestion of any women's organisations that can help me?

NoIWontDoWhatYouSay Sun 17-Jun-18 15:47:05

How has the law taken your parental rights?

Frequency Sun 17-Jun-18 15:51:04

Call women's aid and Shelter for advice and also CAB. I've never heard of someone losing their parental rights because their ex kicked them out. Are you 100% sure that's all there is to it?

Billben Sun 17-Jun-18 15:59:48

How has the law taken your parental rights?

I’m trying to work this out as well 🤔

Orla122 Sun 17-Jun-18 16:34:15

clearly you don't understand that this is a serious issue. If you are co habiting and their is nothing legally signed or agreed you have no rights to anything he has the property and in children's law they have a right to safe secure home but only with the parent who has bills and property in their sole name

NoIWontDoWhatYouSay Sun 17-Jun-18 16:48:42

No true. Is your ex telling you this? The council house single mothers all the time, regardless of whether their ex has a home or not.

SluttyButty Sun 17-Jun-18 16:58:36

I'm sure if you're homeless and a parent with responsibility you could present at your local authority and go into emergency accommodation.

How have your parental rights been removed if you are on the birth certificate?

Sugarhunnyicedtea Sun 17-Jun-18 17:01:20

It sounds as though you have been poorly advised.

Orla122 Sun 17-Jun-18 17:07:46

you think this is the case I have a housing officer who is fighting for me but because I do not receive any benefits for the children to accommodate me I will be in a one bed miles from my children and everyone I know. It is impractical and unreasonable to take me so far from my children ultimately its a violation of their human rights to not have me (their mother) in their life's.

Frequency Sun 17-Jun-18 20:50:04

I also think you've been badly advised. I've been in your position. My ex had everything in his name, bills, benefits etc all paid into his account. When he threw me out, the local council re-housed me and the children and signposted me to organisations who helped me sort the benefits out.

Call Women's Aid and get yourself down to your local CAB office. You have been badly let down.

Underworld345 Sun 17-Jun-18 20:58:46


Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »