Talk

Advanced search

Where to rent near Cambridge Science Park?

(15 Posts)
DelphiniumBlue Sat 16-Jun-18 01:24:10

My son has just got his first job, which is based on the Science Par k.
He doesn't drive or ride a bike ( yet) so wants to be within walking or easy bidding distance. He'll be looking for a flat or houseshare, but doesn't know anybody to share with.
Can anyone help with suggestions of which areas are ok and which to avoid, and where to look for accommodation? We've looked online, but am wondering if cards in shop Windows would be a way forward - is that even a thing these days?

DelphiniumBlue Sat 16-Jun-18 01:24:57

* bussing not bidding!

hellokittymania Sat 16-Jun-18 01:45:51

Hi, I lift for a very brief time in Cambridge. It's very easy to get around it, just watch out for all of the bikes. I'm visually impaired, and this used to scare the living daylights out of me. Overall, it's a very nice place though. I lived in, I think Chesterton. The family I was living with both used to work in the finance park I think. Anyway, it's quite a small place.

DelphiniumBlue Sat 16-Jun-18 08:21:02

Thanks kitty. That's useful to know!

tid2018 Sat 16-Jun-18 08:33:53

Anywhere in north Cambridge (cb4) would be maximum 30 min walk to science park , 10 min on a bike. If he is willing to bike then he could get to science park from pretty much anywhere in the city in around 30 mins max. Shared professional houses are pretty common, have a look on rightmove. Probably pay around £550pcm for a double room. I don't think cards in shops would amount to much. Overall it's a friendly city with lots of young professionals so your son should fit in well!

7YearsOfBlood Sat 16-Jun-18 08:38:52

People will tell you Arbury / Kings Hedges (adjacent to Science Park) are bad areas. While they're clearly not the best parts of Cambridge, I lived in Kings Hedges for about 4 years and never had an issue. So don't discount them entirely!

Orchard Park - next to the Science Park - also convenient. Which reminds me, the guided bus runs along there so he could live further out on Route B (cheaper) - it's very reliable.

DelphiniumBlue Sat 16-Jun-18 08:41:17

Thanks, we're going up there this morning to have a look round.
D S is used to London and fab public transport, and was really shocked when he went to university and found that not everywhere is so well provided. He's been looking at bus routes and hoping that the service is reliable.
Anyone else got suggestions?

DelphiniumBlue Sat 16-Jun-18 08:43:15

7 Years, that's just the the sort info we're looking for, thanks for that.

Queenann21 Sat 16-Jun-18 16:43:37

I would approach the question in two ways, speak to HR where your son is going to work. If they are appointing new graduates they will have been asked this question before and may know of current employee who is looking to share. Otherwise Gumtree, Cambridge has lots of rooms to rent.
May he enjoy Cambridge and his first job. Good Luck.

DelphiniumBlue Sun 17-Jun-18 23:08:32

Thanks Queen. He's emailed HR and has spent the afternoon on Gumtree - there's lots on there.
Our visit was quite fruitful in that we were able to get a better idea of areas and distances.
Hopefully going up again later this week for a few viewings.
Thanks to everyone who replied, the advice has been great!

Wuffleflump Mon 18-Jun-18 16:56:38

Public transport in Cambridge isn't terribly reliable, in part because the roads are very congested, but also because Stagecoach can't figure out how to get people on and off buses quickly. They are currently experiencing problems recruiting drivers, so there are a lot of new, non-local drivers around, which doesn't help. It's also relatively expensive.

The busway can be more reliable, at least where it is off-road, because there's no traffic, and there is at-stop ticketing on the busway. However, the route from the northern villages to the Science Park is a victim of its own success, and the buses can be full before they reach the closer villages e.g. Histon.

But also, if your son is used to London, the villages may just be too quiet for him. Cambridge itself isn't exactly a big city, but there will be more going on. If villages are okay, he could also consider Milton as just about within walking distance. Both Histon and Milton have decent off-road routes to the Science Park, so are also a good option for novice cycling. Outspoken Training, based in the area, offer training if he wants to build confidence cycling, as it really is the quickest way to get around the city.

The good news is that Chesterton / Kings Hedges / Arbury / Orchard Park are among the cheapest areas of the city, and any of them would be fine for distance to the Science Park. There's also a new train station, Cambridge North, which is useful for trips to London, once they get the national train mess sorted out.

mastertomsmum Tue 19-Jun-18 10:15:03

If a 20 mins walk is fine with your DC then Chesterton is quite pleasant. Lots of 1950s houses near the river with big gardens and nicely proportioned living spaces

Haberpop Tue 19-Jun-18 10:31:48

Has he tried Open Rent and Spare Room? Milton might be worth looking at too.

SnowOnTheRoses Tue 19-Jun-18 10:51:49

The Accommodation Noticeboard run by Brett Ward is a quirky but popular resource for Cambridge houseshares: www.brettward.co.uk/canb/search.htm

I'd definitely advise him not rely on Stagecoach Citi buses for getting around, especially if he ever wants to go out in the evening! I know it's a Cambridge cliché, but a bike really is the fastest and most reliable option for many, even those who weren't cyclists before they moved here.

Biscuitsneeded Wed 20-Jun-18 19:43:55

Can he actually not ride a bike at all, or do you mean he only ever did so recreationally as a child? The council run excellent cycling tuition to help adults returning to cycling. It really is the norm here for short commutes as the roads are congested and there's often nowhere to park anyway! As a young professional he will want a social life and being able to nip to the pub on a bike is a part of that.
I moved to Cambridge when I was a pregnant 32 year old and bought my first bike (since childhood) at age 35. I am slightly overweight, not remotely sporty, hate all exercise.... but I LOVE my bike and the freedom it gives me. I do drive but only really for getting out of Cambridge. If I can cycle, anyone can!

As that wasn't remotely what you were asking, I would aim to live somewhere like Chesterton as it's easy for the Science Park but also for the river and town. Your son will have a lovely time in Cambridge.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: