Talk

Advanced search

Dunottar school

(3 Posts)
ameliethree Sun 03-Jun-18 16:24:59

Hi, my son is nearing the end of year 7 in a very large but highly rated state secondary and is really unhappy there. He is struggling socially and overwhelmed in some subjects due to the large class sizes. He has very mild ASD and coped excellently at his large primary school and can hold his own academically. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of Dunottar recently - we looked at it in 2015 for ds2 but were concerned there would be few male peers at that stage. It seems a lovely nurturing school which could help him achieve his potential but I wonder whether they are now trying to compete academically with RGS and Caterham to the exclusion of some students? I appreciate there is an entrance test and that they may be full anyway. Any advice would be much appreciated as it's awful to see him so sad.

Lokisglowstickofdestiny Sun 03-Jun-18 16:30:55

Go and have a discussion with Dunottar. I don't think it is setting itself up to compete academically with RGS. It has a better balance of boys to girls now and is a nurturing enviroment. I know several children there and they are happy.

Elsma67 Fri 15-Jun-18 18:22:05

Definitely talk to Dunottar. The balance is just about 50:50 boy:girl now. They are remaining non-selective academically and look at "the whole child" instead. The new headmaster is great.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: