Talk

Advanced search

First time mum- Cheltenham or Stroud?!

(4 Posts)
jwowrayner Thu 17-May-18 22:58:09

Hi I'm new to mumsnet so bear with me! I'm expecting my first baby at the end of August smile My husband has a job in Cheltenham, we're relocating from London. I'm 30.
First we'll be in Stroud to stay with (childless, also newish to area) friends while we look for somewhere to rent. It's a bit overwhelming! Never had a baby, never spent anytime in Chelt or Stroud. Where to choose? And then...What areas are best?! We're renting so being near a good school is not a priority for us for the first years. Like the outdoorsy lifestyle in the warmer months but terrified of not having much to do if I do opt to live out of the way a bit. We're hard working types, done a lot of travel, not middle class but not chavvy or completely alternative punks either. I do like the idea of Stroud but worried there will not be enough to do with a little baby in tow. If I was in chelt I could easily meet my husband after work for a drink for example...
Would like to meet friendly like minded people and non judgemental first time mums winging it like I know I will be! On mumsnet I've seen people raving how great Stroud is and a mixed bag about Cheltenham...

Stars1979 Fri 29-Jun-18 22:55:51

Hi there, congratulations. I’m a first time mum at 38 years old but I’m 39 now. My daughter is 5 months old. I live in Bishops Cleeve, just a few miles from Cheltenham. Hope all is going well, if you need any help or information on gloucestershire, I’d be happy to help smile

LuckyRainbow777 Thu 05-Jul-18 16:24:35

Hi! Did you choose somewhere to rent? I'm expecting my first baby at the end of August too, I am 33. I live in Cheltenham. I do like Stroud but there is definitely more to do in Cheltenham and it's still in the country, it's such a nice place to live.

Have you joined any clubs in the area to meet any other mums to be? I have left it a bit late but thinking of joining somewhere for the last few months!

PippilottaLongstocking Thu 05-Jul-18 16:28:34

Stroud is lovely! There’s loads of play parks and I can think of at least four different baby/toddler groups and all the local parents I know are great.

Cheltenham is also nice though, I love visiting but I’ve never lived there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: