Talk

Advanced search

Hospitals serving Rowlstone, Pandy and villages on the welsh border between Abergavenny and Hereford

(7 Posts)
eatyourveg Sun 13-May-18 12:42:08

Looking to move somewhere between Abergavenny and Hereford and wondering if Hereford hospital covers villages that sit on or are yards over the Welsh border or do the Wesh villages have to travel south to Newport for bigger depts even if Hereford is much nearer? Looking specifically to be wihtin easy reach of hosptials with oncology depts.

Ifailed Sun 13-May-18 12:50:29

appointments etc. will be at Hereford if you are in England, unless specifically referred to a Welsh Hospital. A&E will go wherever is easiest.

This is a useful site: www.england.nhs.uk/ourwork/part-rel/x-border-health/xb-faq/

PS good luck, ex South East Herefordian !

ineedmorelaundrybaskets Sun 13-May-18 13:24:03

Abergavenny has a hospital that covers oncology, you may find it easier and quicker to get to than queuing in the hereford traffic.

eatyourveg Sun 13-May-18 20:05:35

Thanks both - that link is relalyhelpful Ifailed thank you.

I thought Abergavenny was just a small hospital but if it covers oncology it gives us more scope for the places we like which are primarily very near the border or on the wales side.

Would either of you know if the nhs is noticeably different depending on which side of the border you are? Is there a better side to be on in terms of waiting times and facilities.

Frazzled2207 Sun 13-May-18 20:19:31

I can't help directly but my dad has oncology treatment across the border region of north wales and is adamant that the hospitals on the English side are far better organised. He lives in Wales but has now successfully transferred all his appointments to Chester.
His consultant had to pull a few strings though, because otherwise he would automatically be entirely treated in Wales.

Ifailed Mon 14-May-18 07:12:16

eatyourveg
about which is better - I can't really say, but from anecdotal evidence, in both cases people sometimes have to travel to Cardiff/Birmingham for some treatments depending on where they live, but then that's an issue with rural living anywhere.

eatyourveg Mon 14-May-18 07:39:52

Really useful insights - thanks all smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: