Talk

Advanced search

Moving to norwich

(23 Posts)
awm28 Thu 10-May-18 11:12:45

Hello,
We are moving to Norwich in August, and have been looking to find a nice family home to buy. We have found a house we like in Costessey, in the Hampden view Development, near the long water roundabout. Is this nice safe area? Also are there good schools near by? Anyone else here live in hamden view?

Lilyargin Thu 10-May-18 12:38:24

Hi, personally I think it’s a bit ‘faceless’ in Costessey and quite far from the centre. Costessey High School was closed down as it was failing and was re-named Omiston Victory Academy. It is classed as outstanding now, but that is because a lot of money was thrown at it, new teachers and managers were brought in, and compared to how it was before, it has made great strides. However, it still has the same pupils - but maybe you don’t need a secondary school at this stage. Costessey has a reputation as not a great area, sorry.

awm28 Thu 10-May-18 12:48:06

Thanks for our reply Lily. Why does it have a bad reputation? also which areas would you recommend?

awm28 Thu 10-May-18 13:12:32

Thanks for your reply Lily. Why does it have a bad reputation? also which areas would you recommend?

Lilyargin Thu 10-May-18 13:52:36

I think Costessey is probably ok, and I wouldn’t say it has a bad reputation, just that it’s not thought of as a great area. That’s maybe because it’s near the Larkman estate, maybe because there’s not a lot going on there. I think I know where you’re looking at buying - it looks quite nice really. The golden triangle is where people want to be but it’s very expensive. Have you looked at Cringleford? Do you want to be near the city?

awm28 Thu 10-May-18 14:17:40

well ideally not too far from the hospital as we will be working there.

The hamden view isn't too close to the Larkman estate is it? we did look at a place in cringleford in the round house development but it wasn't that great

Lilyargin Thu 10-May-18 14:36:13

I’m sure it’ll be fine, it looks nice. It’s much better for the hospital than Cringleford. I hope I haven’t seen doubts in your mind! Good luck with everything.

Lilyargin Thu 10-May-18 14:36:58

*sewn

ridiculoussingle Thu 10-May-18 14:44:17

Ormiston victory is a good school! I know loads of v happy kids who go there 😊

ridiculoussingle Thu 10-May-18 14:46:26

Also hamden view appears to not be near the larkman, it's near the bypass ...

awm28 Thu 10-May-18 15:42:11

@lilyargin no you haven't but i do appreciate the advice. Is it fair to say the area is not "rough" ?

Lilyargin Thu 10-May-18 16:46:58

No, it’s not rough, and ridiculous is right, it’s not near the Larkman; Costessey borders it but you’re nearer the bypass. It’s looks very green on HV. Nice.

awm28 Thu 10-May-18 19:33:23

Yes we do like the easy access to the A47 as we will need to be commuting to King's Lynn and Great Yarmouth for work as well!

Yes my main concern was if it could be a unsafe area. if thats not the case i will be at ease :P

lljkk Thu 10-May-18 19:54:00

Costessy is perfect for the Park & Ride: free to NNUH staff, no need to drive!

raisedbyguineapigs Thu 10-May-18 20:00:54

I would say Cossetey is 'safe'. We moved here 2 years ago (not to Cossetey although we did consider it, and I would say the 'rough' areas arent really rough when you compare them to the 'rough areas of other cities. Even the rough areas are just a bit run down and sad, not really unsafe. Its a bit out, but good access to the A47. I heard Ormiston was a properly good school too, not just money thrown at it good.

awm28 Fri 11-May-18 00:01:38

Yes it is a bit out, but we both drive. The centre only seems to be about 15 mins away.

We did initially look at places in the centre but they are so cramped and you get very little for your money!

raisedbyguineapigs Fri 11-May-18 07:30:04

I live on the park and ride to get into the city. The car park charges are outrageous! It's a fab place to live toosmile

awm28 Fri 11-May-18 18:24:01

Is it true that there is a travellers park near by...roundwell site?

lljkk Fri 11-May-18 18:43:07

There are many traveller ponies down by river, so probably true.

awm28 Sun 13-May-18 13:39:11

hmm ok. Anyone aware of the roundwell park site being troublesome?

lljkk Sun 13-May-18 13:43:09

Generally, Norfolk has very few problems with Travellers. Considering the fuss over some traveller problems in Cromer last year (Carnival), I think I would have heard if the travellers in Costessy were a huge problem. Or they would have been publicised more about the time when the Travellers invaded UEA playing fields (also last year, got evicted after maybe 36 hours). Quiet past years is No guarantee for future though.

Someone told me staff parking at NNUH is £4/day if you know which carpark to go to.

awm28 Sat 15-Sep-18 18:33:15

Hi again everyone, starting to think about abandoning the plan of buying the house in costessey. Found another house in Old Catton that we like. How is Old Catton? Safe? Good schools? etc

penguingirl Thu 04-Oct-18 22:32:18

Hi! Old Catton is lovely. Lots of nice houses and good for green spaces. Quiet but easy to get to the city. Sorry but I can't advise on schools. Costessy is ok, depends which end. The part you were looking at is all new. Cringleford is actually right next to the hospital so not sure why someone said Costessy is closer. However for drivers Costessy is probably better due to the park and ride there being free for hospital workers. My partner and I both work at the nnuh, staff parking is very difficult on site, you have to fulfill strict criteria to get it. Now that they have finished the NDR most areas are fine for the A47, especially since you need it in both directions if working at QEH and JP. Are you both in training? Just wondering as wasn't sure why else you'd be multi-site. We bought earlier this year, in one of the 'bad' areas but it's actually fine and you get so much more for your money, ie huge garden! We're 'lucky' in that we didn't need to consider schools though. I'm Norfolk born and bred, and the only area of Norwich/surrounding that I definitely wouldn't buy in is Mile Cross.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: