Talk

Advanced search

Wood Green area questions!

(10 Posts)
jennyfromtheblock1 Sun 01-Apr-18 00:01:59

Hi all. I am looking to buy a 2 bed flat in the Wood Green area but desperately need some pointers as I don’t know the area well at all. I want somewhere near the tube as I work in Oxford Circus. I’ve seen a few lovely places near Wood Green station but would love clarity on where the best areas to live are? Is it more Wood Green side rather than Turnpike Lane?

What’s Bounds Green like too? I couldn’t help but think there was nothing around there and it all felt lacking in shops and pubs.

Any help much appreciated!

Honeycake50 Wed 25-Apr-18 14:11:00

I don't live in Wood Green but have known the area all my life. I would not choose to live in that area at all. Have you considered Bounds Green as an alternative which is slightly further up and imo safer?

Ah just read your message again! Bounds Green would definitely pick over Wood Green for safety. Agreed there is not much there in terms of shops and pubs but it is a short ride if you wanted WGreen. You are closer to Southgate/Winchmore Hill areas too for pubs if you wanted.

UserInfinityplus1 Wed 25-Apr-18 14:13:00

All I can say OP is don't do it! Wood Green is definitely not a safe place to live in.

I agree with PP to try Southgate, Winchmore Hill and Palmers Green.

Saturdayselling Wed 02-May-18 22:48:33

Or go somewhere on the central line if you are going into Oxford Street?

Just not Wood Green!

Apparently Bounds Green has a new coffee shop or something. It's the new Muswell Hill apparently... (coughs)

Ragusa Wed 02-May-18 22:50:58

I always felt perfectly safe in Wood Green but that was when I lived there some years ago. Bounds green is OK but a bit dull.

Vinorosso74 Wed 02-May-18 22:52:19

Bounds Green is definitely a better area to live. If you need the shops /reasonably priced cinema Wood Green is near enough.

happy2bhomely Wed 02-May-18 22:57:27

If you have young dc don't consider Wood Green. It is not a nice area for teens to grow up. Massive gang and drugs issues. Not safe at all.

I actually can't think of anything positive to say about it.

catyloopylou Wed 02-May-18 23:00:32

Try the Haringey ladder area near Turnpike Lane. Still close to the tube at the north end and convenient for shops.

spidey66 Mon 14-May-18 13:37:58

I live near the Palace which officially is Wood Green (as in same postcode) but nicer. This is reflected in the prices though. We describe it as ''the posh side of the tracks'' (the tracks being the railway line into Moorgate.)

There's lots of green areas (Albert Rd Rec and Alexandra Park) and Alexandra Palace Station takes you into Moorgate in about 20mns plus Wood Green/Bounds Green tubes aren't far. It's close to Wood Green, Muswell Hill and Crouch End, the last too are better for pubs/restaurants/cinemas with a variety of types and lovely indie cinemas. I really like the area.

I don't have kids but the local schools are Bounds Green Primary and Rhodes Ave. The local secondaries are Alexandra Park which I understand has a good reputation and Heartlands High which only opened about 5 years ago so I don't know if their first year of entry have done their exams yet.

spidey66 Mon 14-May-18 13:57:09

BTW I have never felt unsafe in Wood Green....it's just a bit tatty that's all!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: