Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Perth- the good ,the bad and the ugly! Advice on schools and areas to move to.

(2 Posts)
dewdrops4 Sat 10-Mar-18 00:21:48

Hi, I am moving in the next few months to Scotland. My Husband has been offered a job in Dundee. I have four children ages between 7 and 17 , so I need to find a suitable Primary, secondary and 6 th form. My husband is Scottish and lived in and near Glasgow but we have been living in Yorkshire for the last 18 years. We are aware of a few schools in the area, we are also looking in Dundee but not sure about living there. I love Scotland and the people and come up often to Glasgow and the Scottish Highlands. However I am completely unfamiliar with Perth / Dundee. We have made an exploratory trip up and intend to make a couple more trips up to find out more. The kids currently go to good schools and are all quite academic. I am slightly concerned about some of the rent news relating to the high schools here and also some trouble hotspots. A bit of local knowledge re schools, where to live would be great!.

motherstongue Tue 13-Mar-18 20:39:09

Is your 17 year old in the middle of A levels? If so, would you consider private for her? We don't do separate 6th forms in Scotland and the state schools will be doing. Scottish highers (5th year - equivalent to lower 6th) then advanced highers (6th year - equivalent to upper 6th). Normally you do 5 highers in 5th year (lower 6th) but your 17 year old is probably only doing 3 A levels. Some of the boarding schools in Perthshire do the English examinations and you can attend as a day pupil so this would allow her to finish her A levels.
I know nothing about the state schools in Perth though so can't help in that regard.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: