Talk

Advanced search

What is the best state secondary in Exeter area?

(10 Posts)
Sammycat123 Thu 08-Mar-18 09:27:35

I’d appreciate your views and experiences about this. We are moving from North London where our kids are in a big state secondary. (Years 7&8). They are confident, academic kids. We will be working at the university.
Thanks so much!

Canadalife Thu 08-Mar-18 09:46:26

Hello, my girls both went to ISCA done well...v good GCSE results. ...one now at the maths school here and the other just finishing at the 6th form college. St Peters has had a good reputation. I would say the one to avoid is West Exe. All the others are OK and get good results. The 6th form college is outstanding for later and if anyone is good at
Math then the Maths School is amazing. I work at the uni...

Welcome to Exeter.

Sammycat123 Fri 09-Mar-18 22:55:03

Thanks, Canadalife. Have your kids enjoyed growing up in Exeter? Tbh my kids are horrified at that thought of moving out of London!

Canadalife Sat 10-Mar-18 14:23:14

We moved from very rural Somerset when they were in years 9 and 10. So different ..They were v unhappy about it. ... especially the older one. But they both agree that it was a good move. Youngest daughter sitting here dictating....’ Exeter is a very good city, it is small and compacted, but has everything you need. Bristol/Plymouth are an hour away if you want to see bands. There is enough to do and it is easy to get to things. We walk everywhere and have lots of independence. Beaches are close for surfing etc. Friends tend to live close and it easy to met up.’...

It is safe city and although it can never have the London buzz it works well for us. Bigger places in easy reach, countryside and sea. We know other family moved down from London, Brighton etc and they have all seemed to settle well.

Do you know where you are going to live? It massively helped when we did the school visits.

Good luck ..feel free to PM if you feel there is anything else you would like to ask.

CrystalPalaceDinos Sat 10-Mar-18 23:37:11

Apparently West Exe is greatly improved after getting a new headteacher.
A colleague recently attended open evenings and was most impressed with West Exe over ISCA and St James.

CrystalPalaceDinos Sat 10-Mar-18 23:49:26

Exeter is a great city. It has everything that you need but it is all within a short distance.
Great beaches, Exmouth, Teignmouth, Shaldon 30 minutes from Exeter.
Haldon Forest, Dartmoor, the Quayside, Picturehouse, Double Locks, Turf Locks and a good selection of places to eat.

2beesornot2beesthatisthehoney Sat 24-Mar-18 10:23:39

I would not recoomend St. Peter’s my kids went there ( although there is now a new HT ) and it was awful. The only reason they get good results is because most parents are more affluent.
Discipline policy is dreadful and with same staff I doubt new HT will change that.
St James on the other hand and Isca both had really poor reps about 10 years ago but are now considered good.
Outside Exeter , Crystal Vale is consistently good with good pastoral care but you have to be in the catchment to get in.

2beesornot2beesthatisthehoney Sat 24-Mar-18 10:24:12

Clyst not crystal bloody autocorrect

Sandyhendy Thu 29-Mar-18 11:37:24

Westexe is a good school. My son has done very well, was in the REACH Academy at Exeter College and has a brilliant job now. If your child wants to learn they will learn wherever they go. Isca is suppose to be good for creative subjects and Westexe for Maths and Science, St James is supposed to be good for children on the autistic spectrum but it will depend where you live as to the catchment area you are in as most schools are over subscribed. I would suggest researching the schools on the internet and being careful where you choose to live. Apart from that Exeter is brilliant and has lots to se and do. Good luck

Papplewapplewoo Wed 11-Apr-18 10:11:53

St James, isca, cranbrook and west exe are all part of TWMAT
All fantastic schools

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: