Talk

Advanced search

Relocating Seattle to Portsmouth!

(5 Posts)
Settly Wed 21-Feb-18 22:09:37

Hello everyone!

My husband and I are looking to relocate to Portsmouth this summer/autumn from Seattle. I'm American but my husband is from the UK and with a new baby on the way we want to build our family over there.

We've decided on Portsmouth to be close to family, although I don't know the area at all. I was hoping I could get some advice on neighborhoods and/or areas that might be good for us to check out.

We love going out to different kinds of restaurants and a good pub, live music and open mics, are very active and appreciate good parks. As I'd mentioned, have our first little one due in July of this year, so nurseries and schools are also something to take into consideration, although that is still a long way off.

If you could offer any advice I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks so much!

mummeeee Mon 05-Mar-18 18:49:23

Hi. Do you know where you or your husband would be working?
I think the first place to look would be Southsea. It is the full of young families, fairly hip vibe, restaurants, yoga places etc. Its also walkable to the beach. However, its still quite urban - it's on the island of Portsmouth, so its essentially part of the city. I've never lived in Southsea myself and whilst I visit it for the odd night out, I have to say that now my family is larger I'm glad we live out of the city. It would probably be fairly pricey to get a nice flat, large enough for a family and whilst the social aspects look great, once you have a small baby you will no doubt go out less. I imagine there'd be lots of baby groups and classes there though.

Commuting times can be a big factor in this part of the world, because of the coastline and Portsmouth being an island. The 'one road in' type thing which means very heavy traffic at rush hour in and out of Portsmouth and Southampton and along the main motorway (freeway) the M27. If you lived in Portsmouth but worked in Southampton, for example, the commute by car would take up a very large amount of your day. If your home and job were by the train station both ends, it would be a lot easier.

Other factors might be whether you wanted to be close to the beach or further inland. As you go inland there are the south downs which can be peaceful and picturesque. Towns like Alresford, Wickham, Bishop's Waltham or Emsworth.

Another option is Gosport, which doesn't have a particularly good reputation, but which has a lovely affluent part by the beach called Alverstoke. This has good schools and lots of activities for families, as well as some lovely period houses. However, the commuting is also a factor. It is the same, one road in and out issue. Although there is a passenger ferry (allows bikes and motorbikes) between Gosport and Portsmouth which would allow you to have less expensive housing, but still commute to a job in central Portsmouth. I know lots of people who do this.

I hope that gives you somewhere to start looking.

DavidPuddy Mon 05-Mar-18 18:52:39

Either Southsea or not at all. Have you been there? I LOVE the place, but my God it is tatty. The sea is rotting the town and there is no wealth or external incentive to save it.

Hellsbells35 Tue 20-Mar-18 22:50:46

We live in Southsea and absolutely love it here. Perfect for families and restaurants/music scene...so you should be set! Plus places like the New Forest are just a stones throw away - enjoy! (Also it rains less than Seattle smile)

Tryingtogetitright Tue 20-Mar-18 22:54:13

Bit further north but easily drivable to Portsmouth is Petersfield which may be worth adding to your list of places to consider. It's a lovely market town and think it would tick all your boxes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: