Talk

Advanced search

What is Colchester like now?

(6 Posts)
AdoraBell Sun 18-Feb-18 23:49:23

Lived there nearly twenty years ago, walking distance from train station and town centre. Haven’t been back since moving. DH is currently searching Right Move for properties.

This leads me to my question, what is the town like now? I know it is more built up. They had 12,000 new homes planned when we lived there, but hadn’t started building.

TIA.

pittcity Tue 27-Mar-18 09:49:57

The short answer is "different".
We have lived south of town for 14 years and there has been loads of new building since then. Noteably up from the station to the A12 and most of the old garrison to the south of town....with new houses, roads, schools etc.
Out of town shopping has grown and the town centre is now just large chains, coffee shops and barbers....independents have been forced out.

SparkythepetBudgie Wed 18-Apr-18 11:00:07

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

emss55 Sat 26-May-18 14:13:16

Lived and worked here since 1992. It's changed drastically and not for the good. Like previous message loads more houses, into the thousands with not enough infrastructure to support them. The hospital at breaking point I know I work there! Big problem in town in is drugs with young teens getting mixed up with London dealers via county lines. I will get out when I retire would not want to stay here forever. Shops big chains and loads of coffee shops eateries, too many really. Some nice villages on outskirts of Colchester but if I was thinking of raising a family in Colchester I'd seriously think twice.

mersearoadclinic Tue 12-Jun-18 16:17:21

It has changed a lot but then so does every major town.

Jedimastermama Sun 01-Jul-18 13:27:27

Just seen this thread, was about to start my own as my partner and I will be moving to Colchester in September. We will be living near the University. Was just wondering if anyone can recommend some quiet areas nearby. We have a one year old, so I’ll be looking into baby/toddler groups then nurseries.

Thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »