Talk

Advanced search

Comberton village college

(5 Posts)
Busymummy50 Wed 07-Feb-18 23:18:54

Recently visited Comberton village college during the day. We've heard lots of great things about the school.

Corridors, walls were not very clean and we saw some floor areas covered in lots of old chewing gum. Does anyone else think it's a bit rundown? I know this has nothing to do with how good they are though as through research and seeing the results, they are very good

Reader1984 Thu 15-Feb-18 12:00:49

Hi.. This is a historically good school due to the catchment. Average house prices are 500k. Keen parents, able to afford tutors when needed etc. The schools money has been used to build Cambourne VC and to invest in other schools in the trust. The classrooms are run down and it need of investment. A shame really

Londo Thu 15-Feb-18 23:12:04

The building needs a bit of TLC but the school is the students and the teachers. Cambourne VC would have been built by the builders in Cambourne. Most news schools are. As for Comberon VC, it looks to me that the money has gone to keeping the teaching high quality. That is really what counts.

EmmaGrundyForPM Sat 17-Feb-18 02:58:05

My dc were at Comberton. The standard of teaching is very good, the cleanliness less so! But I don't think it's any more run down than any other village college of that age.

One of my dc had some MH issues and Comberton was outstanding in its pastoral support. That meant far more to ne than the fact that the corridors could do with a lick of paint.

The school does have quite a middle class catchment but not exclusively so. It scores highly for Progress 8 and Value Added so it's not relying on its intake alone for good results.

Tingalingle Mon 19-Feb-18 11:34:21

DS left a couple of years ago, but for us the immense benefits were the pastoral care, astonishingly good art department, and an unusually humane sports department who accommodated non-footballing boys without humiliation. DS -- who would have been an easy target -- was never bullied in seven years there. It is or was a great school.

We didn't tutor (did rescue his slipping maths grade ourselves at one point, so I guess we count as 'keen parents').

The corridors are a bit grey. Fortunately the dismal uniforms don't show the dust too much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now