Talk

Advanced search

Where to live in a Hertfordshire

(10 Posts)
Herts123 Mon 29-Jan-18 20:34:40

Me and my husband are looking to move to Hertfordshire and considering Hertford, St Albans/Harpenden and Rickmansworth area. Hertford seems most affordable for our budget as St Albans is just so expensive but I don't know the area well,would appreciate any thoughts! Expecting first baby this year and would like to meet people and have things to do,as well as green space!

BakewellTarts Mon 29-Jan-18 20:36:50

I like Hertford. We live in one of the villages just outside and often go in. Good Schools. Reasonable trains which are set to improve. I think it's a good place to raise a family.

carnivalisover Mon 29-Jan-18 20:37:29

Beekhamsted is lovely! Canal running through it, about 34 mins to Euston 4 trains per hour (I think) decent high street, some good schools. Smaller than Harpenden, more ‘London’ than Hertford. Not sure how it compares to St A on affordability.

Herts123 Mon 29-Jan-18 20:43:41

Berkamsted did seem very nice,but a bit far from family and friends in north London. Any thoughts on the villages? Wheathampstead? Welham green?

SuperPug Mon 29-Jan-18 20:47:37

Rent in St Albans- prices to buy are eye watering. But I would now find it hard to live anywhere else.

HalleLouja Thu 01-Feb-18 04:59:59

We love Wheathampstead. A lovely place to live and close by to Welwyn, St Albans, Harpenden etc.

MissTeBe Sat 21-Apr-18 14:17:36

St Albans is hideously expensive but it a lovely place to bring up children

It’s very family friendly

Tami3 Sat 21-Apr-18 21:49:31

Hertford and St Albans are very busy and frustrating for traffic.
There are lots of lovely (relatively affordable) villages around those areas like Wheathampstead, Codicote, Essendon.

mercurymaze Sat 21-Apr-18 21:52:36

hitchin, letchworth?

Hertford always seems to be set away from anywhere to me, and has a dull town centre

welwyn is okay or towns around hemel

zoemelb Fri 01-Feb-19 11:16:12

St Albans town centre or walking distance to the station is expensive, especially if need parking and garden. I cam recommend Jersey Farm or Marshalwick area for more affordable, and very good primary & secondary school (Sandringham).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »