Talk

Advanced search

Guildford secondary schools

(7 Posts)
Johaslam Thu 25-Jan-18 11:45:18

Hi, my daughter age 13 is currently at city of London freemans in ashstead, we are thinking of taking her out of private into a local state school, many friends children are at Priory in dorking but I wondered about other schools such as george abbott and maybe even howard of effingham. She is quite academic are there any state grammar schools around ? any advice very much welcome, thank you

Bekabeech Thu 25-Jan-18 12:03:33

Surrey doesn't have State Grammar schools (the nearest are in London boroughs). both George Abbot and Howard would provide a fine education, if you could get your DD in. They (and other good local schools) are full, so you would probably have to appeal, although people do win appeals. I wouldn't worry about an "academic child" not achieving at these schools (and others) if she is motivated.
However what is your reasons for changing? Is she unhappy? Is it financial? You don't have to answer me but it is something to be honest with yourself about. And the school will "feel" different from what you are used to.
Also do bear in mind that at George Abbot at least year 8 are in the process of choosing their options, so that might be another consideration for you.

Johaslam Thu 25-Jan-18 12:23:45

thank you BekaBeech, sadly it is financial, its devastating as she is so happy at freemans,

Bekabeech Thu 25-Jan-18 14:07:33

Then if the school can't help...
The Howard is a lovely school, in my experience (a bit dated now) probably the gentlest change for her. Ashcombe is supposed to be another very good school.
It does depend on where you live.
George Abbot is good, achieves highly but could be a bit more of a culture shock. County is smaller but still likely to be a shock, but is doing pretty well. You could try St Peter's in Guildford too if you don't object to a Catholic school, I have known students join in year 9.

Johaslam Thu 25-Jan-18 14:27:26

Thank you for your help, is Howard a smaller school then? How would George Abbott differ in culture?

Bekabeech Thu 25-Jan-18 16:04:07

Howard is a bit smaller. The difference in culture is the difference between village students and town students and George Abbot is hardly an inner city school. Basically I found even the "naughty" Howard students were pretty well behaved. But it does have a fairly tight catchment with few pupils travelling in from outside.

Johaslam Thu 25-Jan-18 16:42:38

Thank you that’s very helpful

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: