Talk

Advanced search

Staying in Sheffield for two months

(16 Posts)
Booboostwo Thu 18-Jan-18 14:47:13

We (DH, DD 6yo, DS3yo and me) need to move to Sheffield for two months because DD is having a complicated operation at the Children's Hospital and we will need to stay close to it. We don't have the exact dates yet but they will be confirmed soon.

What are our chances of finding a 2 bed minimum flat/house to rent for two months? It would need to have wheelchair access, a couple of steps would be OK, but a flight of steps would be a problem.

What are our chances of finding a nursery place for our 3yo DS? In our country of residence he goes to pre-school so he is used to childcare, and it would help us a lot with DD if DS was happily occupied for a few hours a day.

Finally we'd need a french tutor for 6yo DD so she doesn't fall behind with school work. I was thinking 2 hours per day Monday to Friday.

Any ideas? The whole thing feels like a mountain at the moment and I am also trying to sort out our regular life which we will be abandoning for two months.

SnowGoArea Thu 18-Jan-18 17:33:04

Yikes, that's a lot on your plate.

I don't know if you'd have much success finding a formal 2 month rental as the min seems to be six months.

What about airbnb? Do you have an accommodation budget for the whole period?

Booboostwo Thu 18-Jan-18 19:51:31

It's a bit of a challenge to say the least!

We could maybe manage six months because after the first two months we'll have to keep coming back for check ups every six weeks.

I imagine airbnb might be more expensive for such a long period but will have a look. 1k a month would be our top budget.

stayhomeclub Thu 18-Jan-18 19:56:54

Can you ask the hospital if they have any recommendations?

I looked into short term rentals locally due to a property sale and purchase with a gap in between and to be honest didn’t find much. It was a six month minimum contract. There will be a way though! I’d try the hospital first and then try things like Air BnB. Given the hospital is near to the university you might find a tutor from there?

VivaLeBeaver Thu 18-Jan-18 20:00:43

There’s a lot of student accommodation brokers in Sheffield, they might have something if a house has been renovated mid year and they can’t fill it as students are already settled. Might be worth ringing them.

EduCated Thu 18-Jan-18 20:01:20

No idea on cost, but there long stay apartments

Gwynfluff Thu 18-Jan-18 20:05:35

Is the tutor to keep your dd fluent in French or a French speaking teacher of primary level?

Check S10 and S11 post codes for flats to rent. things do come up and might get a six month rental.

GardenGeek Thu 18-Jan-18 20:06:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Aragog Thu 18-Jan-18 20:07:24

Your best bet is probably some of the serviced apartment rentals. There are a fair few in the centre and the edges of the city centre. For example, West One is within walking distance of the Children's Hospital.

VivaLeBeaver Thu 18-Jan-18 20:49:31

Sheffield also has a good tram system which is wheelchair friendly so you could look at places further out but near a tram stop.

TynesideBlonde Thu 18-Jan-18 21:10:46

sorry I haven’t read full thread am busy with non-sleeping kids (every day) A... have you looked at Airbnb? Cheapest accommodation will be short term rental by hospitals. .

VivaLeBeaver Thu 18-Jan-18 21:24:48

homes.trovit.co.uk/for-rent-sheffield-short-term

Booboostwo Fri 19-Jan-18 07:20:57

Apologies I fell asleep at 9:30 last night!

Thank you very much for all the accommodation ideas, very helpful. I also didn't know about the tram, great idea. We've always come for just a few days before and stayed near the hospital.

A Uni student would make a great tutor. The level is very basic, equivalent to reception year, and we have access to an online curriculum and all the books. I could do it but I think it would do DD good to have someone else.

We have an appointment on the 21st February. They might put the operation off for another six months but it's more likely they will want to do it now so we'll get a date shortly after that. I assume there won't be much choice over operation dates so things are likely to be very hectic.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 19-Jan-18 07:32:12

Nearest tram stop to hospital would be university. Probably a 10 min walk.

SaskiaRembrandtWasFramed Fri 19-Jan-18 08:15:04

I agree that somewhere near a tram stop would be your best bet. The buses are all wheelchair accessible, but the ones that go past the children's hospital are often packed.

Booboostwo Fri 19-Jan-18 09:23:27

Thank you, I will look into the tram possibility sounds very convenient.

We could possibly take our car with us but it s a long drive (17 hours) and the parking situation is Sheffield seems horrific even with a disabled badge.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: