Talk

Advanced search

Help please!Advise needed for relocating to Norfolk

(9 Posts)
Wi33 Thu 11-Jan-18 21:50:49

Hello
Moving in August to Norfolk with 4 year old,2 year old,new baby and dog.Have been looking at north norfolk mostly Holt/Sheringham but also Aylsham to move to. We love water ideally would be on/stones throw from river,sea.Looking to rent before buying with good primary school,community with baby groups etc,good access to walks,water,family friendly. Max 50 mins from Norwich.
Don’t know Norfolk at all so open to any suggestions.We are coming up in March to scout out areas for a week so please post any suggestions of areas that meet our criteria.
Thanks for your helpsmile

lljkk Sun 28-Jan-18 10:20:36

I guess one of you is working in Norwich; where in Norwich? You want to be north of the river, ideally. And how close to sea is close enough? There is a river in Aylsham, btw, people go kayaking on it.

Does it mean an early morning commute? Coz the early morning drive is unpleasant (crazy commuter behaviour). And the ring road is horrid in the afternoon. Maybe fine if you're used to heavy commuting, tbf.

I knew someone who commuted regularly from close to Wells to the NNUH. Bit mad, but she said it only took about 40 minutes.

Aylsham is the only place you named that is said to have consistently good schools at all ages, but no 6th form there. 6th formers would go to Reepham or Paston.

anothermothergoose Sat 10-Mar-18 08:08:13

Only just seen this thread as new to Mumsnet. Let me know if you're still looking for help. We moved to Norfolk 4 years ago and would be very happy to give you any advice you need. We LOVE being here, best move ever. Hope you find the same.

Wi33 Sun 18-Mar-18 19:57:23

Hi lljkk and anothermothergoose!
Thanks for your posts and sorry for the slow reply. I realised my first post was a bit scatter brained, I blame lack of sleep confused First trimester has been pretty rough and just put the house on the market so been quite busy!

We're moving to be closer to family, my parents are in Suffolk. We love the beach and were looking at North Norfolk but DH thinks that's too far from my family so now thinking south of Norwich.

We're looking for a small market town. DH is a GP so can work anywhere but I work in hospital so need to be near Norwich or Great Yarmouth, I commute 45 mins at the moment so any less than that would be fine.

DD1 is due to start school in September so we'd like a good school and preferably a pre-school and some baby / toddler groups too. We love the water so ideally would be on, or close to, the water and (if we're being really picky) we have a dog so would like nice walks from the door.
Looking to rent before maybe buying somewhere when we get a feel for the area.

From a bit of Google research we've found Loddon which looks nice but we don't really know the area at all so any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks again x

anothermothergoose Mon 19-Mar-18 11:47:05

I'm afraid I'm based in North Norfolk and I don't know south of Norwich so can't help you. Good luck with your move though, I hope it all goes well.

ClaraLane Mon 19-Mar-18 11:55:21

I’m originally near Aylsham and work at NNUH and it’s a nice enough town but a bit small. You’ll have a job finding a small market town that’s near water unless you look at Stalham? Good links to Great Yarmouth for James Paget Hospital, several doctors surgeries, big Tesco and little local shops too plus close to the Staithe which has water and smack bang in the middle of the Broads. There’s also Horning which is on the water but you’d need to travel to Wroxham for high schools/baby groups etc which would mean needing two cars. I’m also not sure how good the Wroxham - NNUH commute is. If you’re looking to work at NNUH be aware you’re looking at a three year wait for a car park space unless you work shifts so you’ll need to drive to the Costessey Park and Ride every day instead of driving straight to the hospital.

NormaSnickers Sun 25-Mar-18 10:55:56

Hi Wi33

Loddon is a great choice (in my opinion - I know it VERY well!) - infant school is lovely and has a nursery, there is also a private nursery which is also great. It takes around 20-30 mins to drive into Norwich and buses are very regular too, if that's a concern. Lovely countryside nearby, river close by with nice walks, cafes, shops etc - I really can't recommend Loddon enough!

Please PM me if you'd like to know more - I'm happy to help!

Wi33 Fri 30-Mar-18 21:03:27

Thanks NormaSnickers, sent you a pm!

Vole3 Sat 05-May-18 08:03:57

I’m in Loddon too.
Son currently in year 6 at the junior school and they have been fantastic with him.
I work at the JPUH and it takes me roughly 25 minutes each way.
The Hollies is a great private nursery. There are Childminder’s, but vacancies don’t come up that often. There is a breakfast club and after school club for years reception to 6 on the infant school site.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: