Talk

Advanced search

Potential move to Burnham on Sea or Weston Super Mare

(10 Posts)
foibles2011 Fri 29-Dec-17 15:02:21

Hi all

DH is about to accept a job in Somerset which is commutable distance to both Burnham and WSM we will be moving with DS 2 and DD 6. After looking at both places online no one seems to have a good word to say about either confused but after living in Weymouth and being used to holiday towns we’re both keen to stay by the sea. So would really appreciate some more information on good areas to live in each place, facilities ie schools, activities for kids, shopping and whether they are really THAT bad or just like any other town and have bad and good areas?!

Thanks for any help in advance grin

ladygoingGaga Fri 29-Dec-17 18:36:01

Lived in this area for 12 years now.
Weston is obviously larger and has better areas, the hillside location of Worelbury is popular with mostly pre war larger properties and adjacent to the woods with fab views and nice first schools.
There are a few new build estates, which are cheaper, the nicest one in my opinion is Locking Parklands, more green space and bigger new build houses, plus in gear catchment area and close to M5.

My preference however are the villages in between Burnham and Weston, check out Bleadon, Lympsham, Uphill, Brent Knoll and East Brent. 5 min drive from both towns with village schools and nice communities.

Weston is def on the up though, massive investment in town centre, Burnham is much more tired and less amenities

I live nearish. Burnham is pretty tired but has a good range of shops and a brilliant cinema, plus nice beach walks. I think it’s ok but many people think it’s awful. It can be tricky getting in and out from/to the M5 in the summer months.

Weston is fine, people do it down but it’s got some nice aspects

mateysmum Fri 29-Dec-17 20:22:49

Best things about Burnham are the dog walking beach and the fish n chips (Highly recommend Brit Chips on Adam St).
Other than that, not much there.

WindyWednesday Fri 29-Dec-17 20:38:04

You will be fine whichever you decide. Everyone moans when they live in seaside places.

B-on-sea is better in my opinion. But there’s not much in it. I’d go for a smaller village outside either.

Is being by the sea negotiable?
The cheddar valley is lovely and has great schools - Cheddar itself is ok, Axbridge, Wedmore, Draycott all great. Beautiful countryside too and not far from the sea. Although ‘proper’ coast is at Lyme about 80 mins away.
Or further in county - Wells, Street, Glastonbury, Somerton. Wells schools good, not sure about the others I’m afraid.

misscph1973 Sat 30-Dec-17 09:58:53

I'm not far from Burnham and Weston, I like both, but I would not live there. The beaches are great for a walk, but not for swimming (sinking mud sand).

I would look in surrounding areas. I have a friend in Sandford, lovely area. I'm in Bridgwater, some parts are nice, other less so. Taunton is really nice.

Do be warned about traffic in Somerset! I was in Berkshire before, and I was shocked at the congestion when we first moved. But I do love it here, it's beautiful, lovely people and so much wonderful local food!

foibles2011 Sat 30-Dec-17 10:49:48

Thank you for the replies grin we have considered villages surrounding so will look into the suggestions given - but I have to admit I am a city girl at heart and the thought of being rural is a bit daunting blush With regards to being near the sea we have always been near it and are currently living abroad on an island state - it’s all the kids and we have really known so again I guess I’m just being fussy in wanting to maintain the status quo! Traffic isn’t too much of an issue where we are now it takes an hour to do a ten minute drive at peak times so we’re used to that 🙄
I guess as long as there are good schools, good facilities and good people (which I’ve heard there are wink ) then we’ll be happy in the area where ever we decide to settle.

Thanks so much again grin

mateysmum Sat 30-Dec-17 14:29:25

If you are really a city girl, have you thought about Bristol or close to it? Would work be commutable from there?

ShipShapeandBristolFashion Mon 12-Feb-18 12:09:28

My husband and I are thinking of moving to Hutton, just outside of Weston Super Mare. It looks like a pretty village and we love how you can walk straight out into the Mendips countryside. Is it as nice as it looks? With a job in Bristol which does not come with a parking space, we really need to be located close to a decent train line, so to be a 10 min drive to Weston station would be ideal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now