Talk

Advanced search

Sommercroft & Hockerill

(6 Posts)
Linda1981 Wed 20-Dec-17 07:52:43

Hi there, we are about to move to Bishop’s Stortford and our closest primary school is Summercroft. Can I have your views as this school seems to have been jumping in its Ofsted Reports from ‘Outstanding’ to ‘Requires Improvement’ to ‘Good’ all withing the past 3-4 years. Compared to other schools’ consistency am not sure what to think. Also, class sizes are important but cannot find this information anywhere as to how many pupils are in each classroom.
As for Hockerill, I understand that it is not possible to get in as you get over 300 applications for 12 spots based on tests, then 70% goes to siblings and the rest to locals, that is if you live in one of the £1m houses opposite the school. I just cannot understand that a gifted child has to go to bad school if it lives closest to one.
Don’t mean to be negative but any views would be very welcome. Many thanks.

thereinmadnesslies Wed 20-Dec-17 08:54:07

Yes, Hockerill is almost impossible to get into. There are very few places left if you do not qualify under aptitude or the sibling rule. That said, not all the nearby houses are £1m+, there are some small terraces on dunmow road if you wanted to deliberately move close to the school. Probably best not to move to Stortford set on a place at Hockerill as the chances are so slim - and it’s not the right school for everyone, science and maths are relatively weak for example. Herts and Essex and the Boys High are both good schools so maybe consider those for your DC.

Sorry I don’t know much about Summercroft but my friends DC go there and they are very pleased with it.

runningoutofjuice Wed 20-Dec-17 09:21:24

You can't go wrong with any secondary school in Stortford. H and E has the same or better GCSE results. If your child is dead set on the IB they can apply after GCSE to go there. Summercroft has always had a good rep. Take OFSTED reports with a pinch of salt or look carefully at the areas they say requires improvement, they aren't necessarily the ones that make a school a great school. The houses around Hockerill are a mixed bag like all areas in Stortford. By all means put Hockerill as a first choice and sit the aptitude test but look for a good fit at the other schools. As said, Hockerill doesn't shine in all areas.

Linda1981 Wed 20-Dec-17 12:52:03

Thank you so much for your comments!
Does any of you have any experience with Northgate, Windhill or St. Michaels?

I agree on other options re maths and sciences.

runningoutofjuice Wed 20-Dec-17 14:38:12

Depending on what year you are looking for, I'd be surprised if you had much choice tbh. Have you checked there are spaces? Know nothing about St. Michael's other than they have faith restrictions.

Linda1981 Thu 21-Dec-17 09:38:10

Many thanks. Summercroft it is :-)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: