Talk

Advanced search

Grammar schools

(6 Posts)
Moni5 Tue 19-Dec-17 07:32:38

Hello. I would like to know if there are any parents of Blackheath Prep girls that had their daughters admitted to the top schools (City, North London collegiate, Henrietta, St. Paul), and how did you prepare them for the admission test? Is tutoring necessary? Did you get any bursary/scholarship? Any other information you think is good to know, please share. Thanks much

EssentialHummus Tue 19-Dec-17 09:45:12

No practical experience, but I expect the distances involved would make it unlikely.

fleurdelacourt Wed 17-Jan-18 14:39:36

Of all those schools, BP only really ever feeds City. The others are too far away? commuting SE to N London rules them out?

And all the girls I know who went to City were tutored yes.

Moni5 Wed 17-Jan-18 14:57:59

Thanks much, this helps.
For those parents who have girls admitted to top schools, how early did you start tutoring and where did you find these tutors? I am relatively new to the city/country and have no experience with tutoring.
Also, do the independent school offer any kind of bursaries? Thanks much, your responses are much appreciated.
Moni

fleurdelacourt Thu 18-Jan-18 14:47:38

Why just parents of girls?!!

If you look at all the websites each school will outline its bursary procedures. They all offer bursaries up to 100%. But they are means tested and if you are paying fees at BP then it's unlikely you would qualify?

The schools all offer non means tested scholarships too but they are less generous - 10%=20% is normal although some might be as little as £1000 PA and some as much as 50%.

Tutors - you mainly find through word of mouth? Some of the teachers at BP also offer tutoring. DS was tutored from year 5 but DD wasn't tutored. They both got their school of choice.

Moni5 Fri 19-Jan-18 08:37:26

@fleurdelacourt
I would like to put my DD in a all girls school hence my focus in the email. Thanks much for your comments. I will have to read more about the bursaries as I was thinking that the non means ones could cover more of tuition.
Tutors- the teachers will probably advise if my DD will need tutoring based on the school we select. As we would like to move up north, the grammar schools there are our first choice.
Again, thanks much. Please share any other insight or thoughts you may have regarding BP or secondary school admission, or “would not do it again” experiences. I am relatively new to the country.
Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: