Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Sheffield

(5 Posts)
Alexmanole Sat 16-Dec-17 12:53:23

Hi everyone,
I saw a similar thread around here, however it seems that it hasn’t had active posts in over a year so I thought I’d start a new one.
I am a new mummy of an angel of a boy who is just turning 6 weeks tomorrow and I’m on maternity leave but not planning to go back to work as I was working very long hours and nights and I do want to see my baby growing.
Me and DH are looking to relocate somewhere different than the south part of England ( Worthing currently) as it’s getting quite expensive and we feel like we can’t offer our baby a lot, plus the flat we’re living is quite small and we definitely need to get a bigger one in the very near future as we can barely fit a moses basket in our bedroom.
I was browsing houses in Sheffield and they appealed to me, I can already see myself living in a nice, chic house that can offer us more value for the money.
We have no family where we are now and the only thing that keeps us in Worthing currently is DH’s job which is the main income at the moment as my SMP pay is not a lot.. confused but I’m thinking he can get a job in Sheffield and I could find something part-time and maybe a good nursery.
Would it be a good idea? What parts of Sheffield are more ‘fit’ for a young family? Any advice and suggestions welcome. Thank you and have a lovely Christmas 🎄

CaptainHarville Sat 16-Dec-17 23:34:51

www.thestar.co.uk/news/revealed-the-best-performing-primary-schools-in-sheffield-1-8912454

This is probably as good a place to start as any.

I came here for university and never left. A great place to bring up children. Close to beautiful countryside too.

elfie1981 Sun 17-Dec-17 14:46:40

Hi we moved for our jobs and Ive now been here for 8 weeks and love it - its hard at first when you know nobody but everyone is very friendly

Alexmanole Sun 17-Dec-17 18:45:46

Thanks a lot for the encouragement!! Any areas you’d reccomend? smile

Notsoaccidentproneanymore Tue 26-Dec-17 13:49:40

It depends on your budget? I presume you’re looking to rent initially?

Do you want walking distance to the City Centre, or more towards the outskirts and Derbyshire? Near good public transport?

If I was looking now, I would pick somewhere within a few minutes walk from a Supertram stop - so probably Broomhall, or maybe the bottom of Netherthorpe/Upperthorpe. But then I’d want to be within walking distance of a swimming pool, as well as Supertram.

Hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: