Talk

Advanced search

Christmas Day - anywhere open for coffee/lunch?

(10 Posts)
RunsforCake14 Thu 14-Dec-17 14:02:07

I'm going to be home alone at Christmas. DC at their dad's and just been dumped by the guy I was seeing this year.
I'm not bothered about being alone but I don't want to stay indoors all day. So I thought I'd go into Cambridge and enjoy the city while it's quiet. I'll take my camera and maybe some drawing materials.
But I know I'll be desperate for some caffeine after a couple of hours.
Do anyone know of anywhere that might be open on Christmas Day where I could get a coffee and maybe a bite to eat.
(I know I could take a flask and a sandwich but sitting indoors would be nicer)

EmmaGrundyForPM Thu 14-Dec-17 15:21:51

I have a feeling that Midan (used to be called Nasreen Dar) on Histon Road is usually open on Christmas Day, and they do coffee. It's a corner shop that happens to sell coffee rather than a coffee shop. Best to check it out first.

If you want to spend some time with other people there's an organisation called something like "Community Christmas" which gives information about Christmas lunches for people who are going to be alone at Christmas. You don't have to be older or vulnerable in any way.

Wollstonecraft1 Thu 14-Dec-17 16:07:10

I think wandering around Cambridge when you might have the city to yourself would actually be rather lovely.

I know some pubs in some of the villages are open, you could walk to The Plough in Coton but it might be pre-booking only.

RosieOnTheRooftop Thu 14-Dec-17 16:34:22

I'd have thought a pub might be your best bet, though it's likely that kitchens will either be closed or only doing pre-booked Christmas dinners. Last year the Cambridge News did an article with a (non comprehensive) list of pubs open on Christmas Day, which might give you a starting point: www.cambridge-news.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/what-pubs-open-cambridge-christmas-12320447

EmmaGrundyForPM Thu 14-Dec-17 16:52:19

I think the problem with pubs which are open on Christmas Day is that they are geared up for people out celebrating, and they will be charging a lot for a full 3-course meal (and understandably so). The OP has said she'll be by herself and just wants coffee and a bite to eat. I'm very happy in a pub by myself with a good book, but I would feel a bit odd doing it on Christmas Day.

Lookingtothehighlands Thu 14-Dec-17 17:03:07

I would go to one of the hotels as it will be business as usual there I’d have thought. the one by John Lewis or the Garden House serve coffee so I imagine they would on Christmas Day too. There’s also the new one next to the station. Worth a phone call to check

RunsforCake14 Thu 14-Dec-17 17:23:59

Thanks everyone. Some really good ideas and places to start looking.

Allthebestnamesareused Fri 15-Dec-17 14:05:38

I am sure the hotels will be so maybe Hotel du Vin or the Tamburlaine (the new one by the station) amongst others will be open. Maybe see if you can treat yourself to afternoon tea!

Biscuitsneeded Tue 19-Dec-17 23:16:29

We usually walk to the river on Xmas Day and the Fort St George is open, as is the Old Spring. Worth checking in advance though!

Wuffleflump Thu 21-Dec-17 18:39:26

I will say that last time I went out for a walk on Christmas day to recover from an indulgent breakfast, I was surprised at how many other people were out and about!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now