Talk

Advanced search

Stores with Free Child Care?

(6 Posts)
MarlaMoss Wed 13-Dec-17 10:34:13

Hi, I'm looking for places like IKEA locally that offer kids a place to play while parents shop. IKEA is a bit far, we are in Leith Links area. Thank you!!

duck94 Thu 14-Dec-17 10:45:23

I’ve never seen anywhere in the UK or the rest of Europe, ever, apart from IKEA, offer this.

By your use of the word ‘stores’, I imagine you may be from North America? Is it common there for shops to offer childcare? I think it’s a great idea!

MarlaMoss Thu 14-Dec-17 14:33:30

Oh yes, sorry, SHOPS! lol... Yes, quite a few larger chain groceries are offering it in the US now. Probably to fill the need things like paid maternity leave and subsidized childcare do in the UK.

TopangaD Sun 17-Dec-17 23:30:21

I know I wouldn’t leave my kids with a shop chreche but that’s not to say a market for it isn’t out there, don’t think it is linked to maternity care though. Personally I found a sling the best way to shop with mine as they still had close contact that or hitting the online stores in the few hours I get to myself which tbh are few and far between! I think you might need to hire a child minder or nanny if your child Is not in nursery or school if you need some time to shop. I’ve not ventured out to ike to know what the crèche there is like though it could be good.

auchinlay Mon 18-Dec-17 08:56:07

the IKEA one is just for children 3+ and for a maximum of an hour; it's very nice with crafts and soft play, and you get a buzzer that they contact you with if your child is upset etc. I'd recommend it. Yeah, not heard of any others in Edinburgh.

fairytaleof2017 Mon 18-Dec-17 11:01:57

some gyms offer childcare facilities in Edinburgh - other than that, there are usually pages to colour in waterstones. I've not heard about much else - there are a few play cafes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now