Talk

Advanced search

Thoughts on Penshurst?

(5 Posts)
jimnem Sat 09-Dec-17 18:52:37

Hello. My family and I are planning on moving from London to somewhere in the Sevenoaks or Tunbridge Wells area. We love a house we’ve seen in Penshurst and the village and surrounding countryside is beautiful. It seems to be exactly what we were looking for in terms of escaping London for green hills and a quieter life, but not I’m really worried that it’s too quiet.
I’d really appreciate any opinions on Penshurst and in particular the village community. We have 3 and 5 year old daughters and I’d want them to be able to have friends in the village, plus friends for us. Are there many youngish families in the village or is the population mainly older?

I can come to terms with leaving most parts of my London life, but really need to move somewhere I can feel part of a new community.

Nicenicebaby Tue 12-Dec-17 22:00:46

Absolutely beautiful village. Used to live there and moved away for schools. There are plenty of young families locally and you will get to know families in nearby villages too. Penshurst Place has a wonderful play area which is the nearest you will get to a local playground. If your children are able to attend the village primary then you will find it very easy to make friends locally. You will likely find it quiet after London but there are plenty of things to do if you look and are willing to adapt to a slightly different way of life. Best of luck!

Panicmode1 Wed 20-Dec-17 17:42:16

It's a gorgeous village - we have friends living there, in extremely beautiful houses and I love going to visit and walking the dog on the Penshurst estate, but I personally couldn't be that far out of town as we have four children, and I already have to do a certain amount of ferrying - if swimming, tennis, riding, cubs, beavers, scouts etc wasn't available then I'd spend my life in the car....! If you are thinking of grammar schools, then be aware that catchment for TWGGS is small and you would have to have governor places for the girls - if private, then it's academic really!

London to TW and the surrounding villages is a well trodden path, so you will find people who have done the same journey. You will have to make perhaps more of an effort than in London to find groups and activities, but it's a fabulous area to be in.

jimnem Wed 20-Dec-17 19:07:29

Thanks both for your comments. As much as I love the house and think the village is beautiful my gut feeling is perhaps we should be a bit closer to either Sevenoaks or Tunbridge Wells so as to be closer to kids activities etc. Thanks for your help!

Playmobilpeacock Thu 21-Dec-17 14:10:33

Penshurst is lovely and there is a strong community there.

I may be biased, as I live near by, but I find there are lots of activities locally. Obviously most things are a short drive away but they will be anywhere if you move to a village.

Tonbridge is a 15 minute drive and has loads going on.

I think this area is the best of both worlds, pretty and rural but within 20 minutes you have all the amenities you would need.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: