Talk

Advanced search

Rapunzel at the junction

(14 Posts)
StrumpersPlunkett Wed 06-Dec-17 17:33:29

Have had very strange reviews about it not being age appropriate.
Anyone seen it and have an opinion?

Tid1 Wed 06-Dec-17 18:24:51

I haven't heard any reviews but I have tickets to take my 6 year old. In what way inappropriate??

StrumpersPlunkett Wed 06-Dec-17 20:47:13

Two schools not returning for the second booked performance due to subject matter. Apparently rapunzel hair issue is a pubic hair problem but I don’t really know the truth which is why I was asking

marmee Thu 07-Dec-17 09:55:36

Rapunzel, Rapunzel let down your pubes? Painful when the Prince climbs up.

The Junction's shows are usually very good, lots of fun and age-appropriate. Do you know which schools didn't return StrumpersPlunkett?

TorNayDoh Thu 07-Dec-17 18:12:10

Their website says suitable for age 5+...?

Biscuitsneeded Thu 07-Dec-17 20:03:44

Ha ha ha that's hilarious, if true. It's the Arts Theatre panto for us, all the way. (Jack and the Beanstalk)

1000piecepuzzle Thu 07-Dec-17 20:28:05

No idea but thanks for the laugh that's really funny if true and completely age inappropriate!

Catabogus Thu 07-Dec-17 20:51:12

No, surely not?! I’m supposed to be taking my 5yo at the weekend!

Jaynebxl Fri 08-Dec-17 04:28:24

Interested to know if this is true as we always go to the junction Christmas show and always love them. They're usually slightly alternative but such a good theatre experience.

StrumpersPlunkett Fri 08-Dec-17 06:52:46

As I said I am trying to find out the truth of it so would love to know what it is actually like.

Jaynebxl Fri 08-Dec-17 07:39:41

Maybe contact the Junction? I've contacted them by twitter before.

RosieOnTheRooftop Fri 08-Dec-17 09:10:37

I saw the show last night and loved it, and I really don't think there's anything to worry about. I understand that a few tweaks have been made, and there's certainly nothing in it now which I can imagine anyone finding inappropriate. Alternative and unconventional, yes, but that's what I would hope for from a Junction treatment of a fairy tale.

To give more detail (spoiler alert!), it's clear that Rapunzel is generally wild and hairy besides just having long hair on her head, and that the tower is full of hair, but there are no references to her pubic hair specifically. There are a couple of mentions of bikini waxes in the songs set in a beauty parlour in town, which are about a culture of excessive conformity, but as part of the general list of stuff people are pressured to have done. I imagine that would go over the heads of many children; if they know what it means already then I really don't think it's going to raise any issues. Rapunzel is really celebrated as a heroine precisely because she doesn't fit the mould, and all this opens up questions about different kinds of freedom, including peer pressure. So it's definitely fair to say it's a forward thinking and body hair positive production (!), but not in way which I think will upset anyone who has signed up to go to a show with a Junction twist on a classic.

So that deals with the pubes question! As for age appropriacy generally, I don't think I'll take my four year old as he doesn't know the story of Rapunzel and I think he might not last through the whole thing. I think age 6 or 7 up will get the most out of it in terms of following the story, but that's not to say littler ones won't have lots of fun too, that was certainly true of some younger ones I was near last night. The start does bring out just how creepy the fairy tale really is, but the second half has more rousing opportunities to boo the fabulous villain and root for Rapunzel. The kids in the audience were getting right into it. The performers are all really fabulous.

(NB I am not working for the Junction! But I would echo the suggestion of contacting them directly.)

DorothyParker111 Fri 08-Dec-17 13:04:12

From today's Cambridge News: www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/theatre-changes-smutty-rapunzel-panto-14010916

RosieOnTheRooftop Fri 08-Dec-17 13:25:44

Aha! It sounds like some changes were definitely warranted!

Looking back after reading the CN story I can work out where those bits were probably trimmed (!) but I reckon it's been a successful editing job. And NB there are certainly (now, at least) no bawdy allusions to anyone's 'wedding night'.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: