Talk

Advanced search

Ormiston Arts School or Others

(6 Posts)
Northmole Wed 29-Nov-17 08:19:24

Has anyone any experience or knowledge with Ormiston school in Birmingham? DS will be 14 when we move to Birmingham. He mainly dances but is also very involved with art.
Any bit of knowledge would be helpful as there really is very little to go on..
Thanks!!

KingsHeathen Wed 29-Nov-17 14:33:14

Hi there, it's known locally as "BOA", rather than ormiston.
I know some children who've transferred there from Y10, who've been v happy. Don't know how they did in their GCSEs or A Levels though. The dfe site will give summary info on that front.

Tiredemma Wed 29-Nov-17 17:15:22

Hi my DS moved to BOA in Sept this year (Year 10) to do Musical Theatre pathway. He loves it and has made some lovely friends. DS says that its a great atmosphere as everyone who is there has auditioned and really wants to be there.
The audition process is a full day and I do believe that its a bit more cut throat for girls as there is a higher volume of applicants from girls. DS auditioned along with 3 others from his old school- 1 boy and 2 girls. Both girls were not selected.
Pastoral care seems really good and at the recent 'settling in' eveing it was very evident that the school has a lot of very confident, happy kids there. Not sure if you have had a chance to look around but I would recommend going to an open evening.
The kids still do main subjects (Maths/English/science and then options from Geog/history/art/MFL). each pathway that they choose is a BTEC level 2 so DS is doing a BTEC in Musical Theatre.
For someone like my Ds who is not 'one of the lads' it has been the best thing- he has flourished and is really happy.
if you have any other Qs just let me know !

Northmole Thu 30-Nov-17 19:54:50

Anyone know what ages are there? Son will be 14 in June. I still am completely confused by "key stage 4" and other school terms in the UK. confused

KingsHeathen Thu 30-Nov-17 20:17:06

It's for Y10 upwards, so the September after they turn 14.

Tiredemma Thu 30-Nov-17 22:00:20

They apply in the spring of Year 9 and if successful, start in Year 10.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now