Talk

Advanced search

Elmstead Woods - good to live?

(12 Posts)
1Newbie1 Tue 28-Nov-17 18:30:55

Hi
We are looking to move to Elmstead Woods potentially near the station (Wood Drive). Does anyone live near there and can tell us whether it is a good street, safe street? What is Elmstead Woods like? Is Elmstead Woods a safe area? There seems to be a lack of good state schools..anyone have any recommendations?

We are not from the area but looking to buy in Elmstead Woods now.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

retirednow Tue 28-Nov-17 19:44:34

I will look up wood drive, do you have to be in elmstead wood or would you move a bit further out. What type of school are you looking for.

1Newbie1 Tue 28-Nov-17 20:11:32

We can look further but we have seen a house we like on Wood drive..

retirednow Tue 28-Nov-17 20:32:53

Gosh, it's a long road. Yes, it's a very nice area, near to the station one end. You would probably have to go into Chislehurst or Bromley to do shopping, Chislehurst has some lovely restaurants and pubs. It's very green around the whole area. The Bromley News Shopper is the local paper and today they have run a section of the good schools in the area but most of these are independent. The local government website will give you crime levels for the areas. It's a good train service into London if that's important.

retirednow Tue 28-Nov-17 20:33:08

Gosh, it's a long road. Yes, it's a very nice area, near to the station one end. You would probably have to go into Chislehurst or Bromley to do shopping, Chislehurst has some lovely restaurants and pubs. It's very green around the whole area. The Bromley News Shopper is the local paper and today they have run a section of the good schools in the area but most of these are independent. The local government website will give you crime levels for the areas. It's a good train service into London if that's important.

PettsWoodParadise Wed 29-Nov-17 13:03:12

I live a couple of stops further down the line so don't know the road itself but hope I may be able to help in some way as I have friends in the area. What are your motives for moving? If it is state schools you might find yourself in a pickle for primary depending on your faith, Secondary schools however you should be in catchment for Bullers. They have the well established girls' school and the newly opening Boys school. . You've got the shops near the Sainsbury's but it is a bit of a hike if you wanted to walk, but there are a nice range of restaurants and boutiques there, it can get busy and gridlocked if driving.

Are you commuting upto town? For transport you have some good trains but as it is past the junction you only have the choice of Cannon Street, London Bridge or Charing Cross and the odd very stopping train to Blackfriars. You don't have Victoria or the trains that go all the way through City onto Luton etc. You will probably also have to stand if travelling at peak time. My trains from Petts Wood go through EW in the morning and people who get on don't get a seat. Coming home in the evening from the theatre there are good late night services and I've never felt threatened on those trains and always felt safe.

Also check about flooding, some of the roads around there do get very muddy and prone to flooding, but then some are up higher up and perfectly fine, but the flooding can create gridlock if in the wrong area and you need to drive somewhere (having tried to pick up a friend who lives on the other side of the railway to Wood Drive and found it impossible on at least two occasions).

Astronotus Thu 30-Nov-17 12:12:45

Simply put - Elmstead Woods is a good, quiet area, although Elmstead Lane itself can be busy with traffic. Quick trains to London 17 mins. 10 mins drive to Bromley shopping centre. Primaries are varying, good CofE on Chis Common. Access to good secondary is excellent. Walking distance to local good comp Bullerswood, 7 mins train to grammars in Orpington. Bexley grammars will also be in your catchment. Kent grammars Dartford Boys, D Girls and Wilmington available to you too, although longer journey and their school buses go from Chislehurst station. Excellent local indies on all levels, Babington House Sch two streets way from Wood Drive.

Houses near Elmstead Wood station hold their value because of easy London commute.

1Newbie1 Sun 03-Dec-17 23:14:37

Thanks so much for all your advice. We are now deciding between Elmstead Woods/Chislehurst, Orpington, or Sevenoaks. What's your views on the three areas? We work in London so will have a daily commute but looking for an area that is safe, good schools (ideally State) and have a good community life.

Astronotus Mon 04-Dec-17 08:13:03

Orpington has good state schools too. I believe many people move to Sevenoaks for the state schools and the indies. I'd investigate the parking near those stations unless you will live on top of them.

retirednow Mon 04-Dec-17 10:28:43

Out of those I would choose Chislehurst or Sevenoaks. Both seem more 'rural' although they are very commutable. Sevenoaks station is quite a way out of the main shopping area, its near Riverhead. Chelsfield is a lovely place to live. Sevenoaks has a lovely shopping area, cafes, restaurants, bars, Knole Park.
Chislehurst is quite small but has a nice High Street with restaurants, pubs and has lots of parkland nearby. The station is up a side road with very little parking.
Orpington can vary, the station is up a hill and quite a way from the shopping centre "The Walnuts", the houses near Darrick Wood, Petts Wood are very nice.
What sort of school are you looking for? You have lots of good schools in all those areas, for both boys and girls.
I'd have thought Sevenoaks and Chislehurst are more likely to have a more community feel about them because they are smaller areas.
Beckenham is also a very nice area to live, a bit further in but very commutable.

YogaPants2441 Thu 21-Dec-17 12:29:53

I agree with Astronotus, she provided you with most of the info already.
Good primaries with catchment are Scotts Park and Red Hill.
You can check information about the property you are buying if you have the full post code:
www.streetcheck.co.uk
We live 15 mins away from Elmstead Woods station and are quite happy here, with full time jobs and commute to Central London. Nice families here and our kids (in secondary schools now) have a lot of friends.
Orpington indeed has good and bad areas, Sevenoaks - too far for us to travel every day. We looked at Beckenham when we were moving and this also seemed to be further and more expensive in terms of travel zones.
High street in Orpington is not nice, in Elsmstead you have the variety of Chislehurst and Bromley for shops and restaurants.

YogaPants2441 Thu 21-Dec-17 12:40:38

Forgot to mention - Bickley private is not far, also Breaside schools (private). Some boys go to Calfes as
Not bad state secondary schools are Ravensbourne (mixed); Hays (girls); Ravenswood (boys) and Coopers (mixed).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: