Talk

Advanced search

Please help me find a stylish, traditional restaurant in York city centre

(10 Posts)
PaxUniversalis Fri 24-Nov-17 18:23:28

Can anyone recommend a good restaurant in the historic centre of York? The two couples (relatives from abroad) who will be travelling with DH and me are in their early 70s and they like going to stylish, traditional restaurants. Nothing too casual or noisy so no loud music. Tablecloths rather than bare tables or 'canteen-style' interiors (as they call it). Traditional and a bit upmarket but not the most expensive places in town either. Ideally local or regional food. Efficient service by knowledgeable staff. I'd already posted this on Weekend Breaks before I discovered the local MN section.

Someone has already recommended Cafe No. 8 Bistro, Gillygate.

Oscha Fri 24-Nov-17 18:30:20

I was just coming to recommend Cafe no 8!

Source and Skosh are both very lovely but perhaps too modern?

BeanoNoir Fri 24-Nov-17 20:00:47

Ooh any other Yorkies know what the posh traditional one on petergate is called? Has a good reputation. Hang on, I’ll try and find out what it’s called.

BeanoNoir Fri 24-Nov-17 20:04:53

It’s called Michael’s Brasserie. Disclaimer, I’ve never been - I’m more into casual and noisy! But it has good reviews - no tablecloths, mind.

PaxUniversalis Fri 24-Nov-17 20:30:24

Thank you for the suggestions. I've been browsing Tripadvisor. Any thoughts on Melton's on Scarcroft Road? Or Oxo's on The Mount (I know it's not in the historic part of town but it has good reviews).

Oscha Fri 24-Nov-17 23:05:26

Melton’s is very nice. There’s also the Hotel du vin on the Mount.

BeanoNoir Sat 25-Nov-17 02:05:14

Melton’s is probably exactly what you’re looking for, except it’s a bit far away from the centre of the city. Walkable though

StaggeringOn Tue 28-Nov-17 02:39:39

Carluccio’s in St Helen’s Square - right in the centre.

SueSueDonahue Tue 28-Nov-17 18:42:01

I'd go to Melton's with those criteria although I prefer the food at No 8 myself

Are you staying in the city centre?

ShootingQuadrantids Thu 11-Jan-18 17:43:44

Arras the food is quality. It's really the only one that I would recommend. Although Meltons on Scarcie Road is good too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now